Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Yes, I have to say that box art is one of their nicer ones in recent memory! It looks as though the tires are the same size on all fours. Knowing how Revell is with their tires, I doubt they'd go through the trouble and they may not have taken note. No biggie............I've got PLENTY 'o tires to pick from if/when the time comes for me to build it.

IIRC, one of the AMT white letter tire packs has tires in the right size, E60 15 and G6015. 

Edited by Rob Hall

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, jjsipes said:

DjyW7h6V4AATlZJ.jpeg.jpg

Slightly off topic, but, looking at the RR wheel of this green/black car, it looks like it's off the ground. Is that a result of chassis set up for track use? I know next to nothing about these cars. 

G

On 5/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, MrObsessive said:

RMX-4416-2.jpg

I too was hoping they'd fix those wheel wells, but that's not the case unfortunately. :(

Still this is a MUCH better version this time around than the original abomination that they foisted on us years ago!

Oh yeah and while I'm at it..........do something with those quarter window corners. ;)

Does the hive mind here think this kit would be a good starting point for, say, Swede Savage's T/A car? I know that car requires big and littles and racing wheels, but in terms of the overall look, would this kit be a good starting point?

22 hours ago, Agent G said:

Yes, pretty much everything about the design of sprint cars (even tire sizes on each side) is all about putting as much weight as possible to the left side of the car.

50 minutes ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Does the hive mind here think this kit would be a good starting point for, say, Swede Savage's T/A car? I know that car requires big and littles and racing wheels, but in terms of the overall look, would this kit be a good starting point?

Yes, once the body issues (fender flare shape) are dealt with.

For those building stock versions, the AMT parts pack Polyglas tires have (incorrect for this car) size designations on one side, and no size designations on the other.  Not perfect, but close.  Maybe Revell's decal sheet has tire lettering in the correct sizes?  

1 hour ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I used the first release of the new tool Revell to build my T/A race car, incorporating parts from the Monogram 1/24 scale AAR.  This new release should be a good starting point but would still require some scratch building depending on the level of accuracy you want to achieve.  Here is my build thread to give you some ideas. 

DSCN5323

1 hour ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Joseph at Fireball Models has really nice Mopar rally wheels with different types of center caps.

22 hours ago, Agent G said:

Slightly off topic, but, looking at the RR wheel of this green/black car, it looks like it's off the ground. Is that a result of chassis set up for track use? I know next to nothing about these cars. 

I think it's more likely that the back of the car is sitting on some type of jack, either for changing tires or warming the car up. 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:34 AM, 1972coronet said:

I can't wait to see how the AAR's newly-tooled 340 Six Barrel is going to look and how nicely it builds-up .

I quite agree. No matter what anyone says the AMT 318/340 looks small to me. I hope this one is better. I'd like to see the resin casters come up with a variety of intake options as well.

4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I quite agree. No matter what anyone says the AMT 318/340 looks small to me. I hope this one is better. I'd like to see the resin casters come up with a variety of intake options as well.

Are you referring to the MPC small block Chrysler or the AMT 1971 340 from the c.1998-issue Duster ? 

The ancient MPC  Chrysler LA engines are too small (albeit , likely in-scale --- they just seem to "disappear" in the engine compartment of the 1971-1976 Demon , Duster , and Dart Sport kits (especially under that huge 1970-1971 air cleaner housing !) , but , yes , appear to be closer to 1/26 or 1/28 scale ) . Oddly , the 1977-1980 Volaré kits' SBC / Torqueflite aren't as offensive for some reason --- perhaps it's because the engine compartments are better detailed and a correct air cleaner assembly is included ?

The AMT 340 is decent , albeit lacking in certain respects : there's no 'Secondary Engine Breather' (which -should- have two ports : one to the air cleaner base ; one to the vapour return line ) , and no PCV valve ( just a place for one on its respective rocker cover -- a grommet and no valve ! ) . Additionally ; its rocker covers are too up-right (almost like a Buick Nailhead !) , but that's just being picky on my part .

Never-the-less... I agree that the fledgling resin folks should hop-on and make some other intake options ( stock single 4 Bbl / Carter AVS ; an 'LD340' intake ; and perhaps an Edelbrock Air Gap and single plane setup ).

6 hours ago, Roncla said:

Video review of Revells' new 57 Ford Sedan Gasser

Chris does a great job with his video's, no-nonsense builds, letting everyone see that one doesn't need expensive tools or an airbrush to build a decent looking shelf model.

IMHO he's a great ambassador for the hobby we all love...

Wouldn't hurt either the model companies on their site would link their products to his clips...

Edited by Luc Janssens

18 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

@hpiguy great review. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Thx Chris for the review on the 57' ford Gasser now I have to have one !

14 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Chris does a great job with his video's, no-nonsense builds, letting everyone see that one doesn't need expensive tools or an airbrush to build a decent looking shelf model.

IMHO he's a great ambassador for the hobby we all love...

Wouldn't hurt either the model companies on their site would link their products to his clips...

Thanks guys, I'm flattered!

I do send the pics and links to my contacts at the manufacturers once done. 

I'm not a pro photographer so I'm guessing the pics  I take aren't up to the snuff of what they can use in marketing.  They likely need much better lit and stylized photos by folks far more experienced than I am.

I'm just happy to be making cool new kits and having fun letting folks know that models are fun and we don't need to take a hobby too seriously if we don't want to. :)