Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:32 AM, highway said:

I can't help but laugh at 2 full pages of complaining about a rear end in a kit that most of the time it will never be seen when the model is sitting on the shelf! :lol: I would also guess most everyone complaining about the Cuda having a Dana rear end would also be the same ones that would misidentify the rear end in the Monogram/Revell Ford F250 and F350 kits as a Dana rear end when it is not! :lol:

<_< Comment makes absolutely no sense at all...

I do recall some dummy (hi!) assuming a certain kit had a dana, but that was because he hadn't checked the box recently and was thinking of older trucks.

This topic of dana vs 8.75 is a valid discussion of a wrong part included in a kit by guys who generally know what they're talking about.

mike

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, MrObsessive said:

This is reminding me of what I did with that '68 Road Runner so needless to say, it's gonna be some time before I get the ambition to take this on. :unsure:

Boy, do I hear you on this, Bill ... trying here to get steam up again to finish work on a light commercial subject issued during a company's ill-advised and fortunately short-lived flirtation with a Toy and Novelty division :blink::P

Edited by mk11

29 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

Uh-oh...

They're bringing out the eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows
And a paragraph on the back of each one, if I may paraprhrase Arlo Guthrie.

:-)

:lol:

Great one, made me laugh.

2 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Uh-oh...

They're bringing out the eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows
And a paragraph on the back of each one, if I may paraprhrase Arlo Guthrie.

:-)

You should see what the rivet-counters have done with various kits of the P-40B at Hyperscale! :blink:

21 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

I thought it might be good to highlight the problem areas, so instead of sleeping last night, I spent the last 12 hours in paint brush doing this:

image.png.15321ee1b28aa6a480517701e1c66d57.png

Thoughts?

One thing I noticed while sanding down the fender flares on mine. There is a lip along the bottom edge of the DLO on the Revell body that is not there on the Johan body I am comparing it with. I removed it (with an Xacto blade) and it seems to open up the DLO more as well as unplump the body some.  

Edited by magicmustang

10 hours ago, magicmustang said:

There is a lip along the bottom edge of the DLO on the Revell body that is not there on the Johan body I am comparing it with. I removed it (with an Xacto blade) and it seems to open up the DLO more as well as unplump the body some.  

Gerald is exactly right on this point, and this is one of the corrections I have planned on my "accurization" project....TIM 

2 hours ago, afx said:

I thinned down the trim on top of the door on this body and reduced the wheel well trim. Thinning out the trim along the roof might also be needed.

DSCN4938Image result for 1970 cuda

Wow, looks like a little short on the front fender overhang, too. And too blunt.

50 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Wow, looks like a little short on the front fender overhang, too. And too blunt.

I have the '71 valance installed which gives the front a stubby look.

Image result for 1971 cudaImage result for 1971 barracudaDSCN4938

Edited by afx

I did a quick overlay of JC's photos.

70_cuda-vi.jpg

Then I traced some of the body lines from the 1:1 photo.

70_cuda_3-vi.jpg

So, it doesn't seem like it needs quite as much surgery as I first thought.  The front fenders are too tall, window openings need enlarging and the trailing edge of the front wheel well looks too upright.  The rear quarter doesn't come down far enough behind the rear wheels - should be more like the MPC & Johan bodies.  Front and rear look too short, but some of that could be down to the difference in photographing a model vs. a 1:1 vehicle.

Edited by dodgefever

20 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

I did a quick overlay of JC's photos.

So, it doesn't seem like it needs quite as much surgery as I first thought.  The front fenders are too tall, window openings need enlarging and the trailing edge of the front wheel well looks too upright.  The rear quarter doesn't come down far enough behind the rear wheels - should be more like the MPC & Johan bodies.  Front and rear look too short, but some of that could be down to the difference in photographing a model vs. a 1:1 vehicle.

Thanks Stu, this is very helpful!

On 6/30/2019 at 1:46 AM, MrObsessive said:

...As was said........not everyone will notice/see the difference. But to us model "autists" out here the differences are screaming at me like a fire engine siren. Just my observation and 2¢ worth.

Heard that. Bill.

The observation that can't be refuted: "Eh, except for the fender flares, the other issues aren't that big a deal to me".

On the other hand, there's a profound distinction between "I can't see the differences" and declaring "there are no differences"  as if that's some sort of objective fact. The notion that there are no objective deviations from the 1:1 has been eviscerated and beaten flat by proportions and illustrated math, which is something the less critical should bear in mind:  the more critical modelers either have or can quickly find proof of their assertions.

And whichever way, none of the more critical modelers seeing problems with this kit is trying to mandate or ridicule how the less critical should react to it - that kind of assault is only happening in the other direction. Most of us see this 'Cuda as worthy of rehabilitation at worst, so it only stands to reason that those who like it as it is should enjoy it to the fullest.

Notice the difference in emotional maturity, by the way, between that attitude and hollering "if you don't like it DON'T BUY IT" just to try and kill the discussion.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  I had no issue so big it would keep me from buying the last RM Cuda.....and build it!!! This body looked OK because, I guess, I didn't know better.

2vYoJbyjxJcANd.jpg

A lot of it boils down to what you know on a daily basis........I see issue in RM 48 Ford coupe that I never see anyone else talk about.....but as I have a 1/1 scale version next to my model room....I see the MINOR issues. POV....

Dave that is a terrible model. The next time you're in Charleston please drop it off at my house. Just being neighborly. :lol:

Dave has proven it build up very nicely.

Maybe I'm missing something here. The supply of MPC Cudas is pretty scarce. That kit has severe headlight issues that does more to make it toy like than any errors on the Revell Cuda body. The JoHan Cuda is even rarer. It may look right from the side but its narrowed almost like a funny car.

The only other commonly available Cudas is Monogram's 1/22 or maybe 1/24 Hemi Cuda. I do know as soon as I see this kit, its coming home with me.

Revell's is not the only game in town. Just the most affordable quality product.

I'm glad its available.

4 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Heard that. Bill.

The observation that can't be refuted: "Eh, except for the fender flares, the other issues aren't that big a deal to me".

On the other hand, there's a profound distinction between "I can't see the differences" and declaring "there are no differences"  as if that's some sort of objective fact. The notion that there are no objective deviations from the 1:1 has been eviscerated and beaten flat by proportions and illustrated math, which is something the less critical should bear in mind:  the more critical modelers either have or can quickly find proof of their assertions.

And whichever way, none of the more critical modelers seeing problems with this kit is trying to mandate or ridicule how the less critical should react to it - that kind of assault is only happening in the other direction. Most of us see this 'Cuda as worthy of rehabilitation at worst, so it only stands to reason that those who like it as it is should enjoy it to the fullest.

Notice the difference in emotional maturity, by the way, between that attitude and hollering "if you don't like it DON'T BUY IT" just to try and kill the discussion.

I think there are some good points made here.

When I brought up the decal "curve" issue, I was trying to participate in the constructive work (IMO anyway) along with the others here pointing out some of the inaccuracies to be corrected if you wanted this model to be near perfect. I still plan on getting at least one of these, if not more, as overall it appears to be a great kit. And having built some horrendous kits in the 80`s and 90`s, I am really thankful with how far kits, like this one, have come. 

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  I had no issue so big it would keep me from buying the last RM Cuda.....and build it!!! This body looked OK because, I guess, I didn't know better.

2vYoJbyjxJcANd.jpg

A lot of it boils down to what you know on a daily basis........I see issue in RM 48 Ford coupe that I never see anyone else talk about.....but as I have a 1/1 scale version next to my model room....I see the MINOR issues. POV....

I agree with what you're saying, but the '48 Ford kit had this board lite up like a light bulb when it first came out. Everyone eventually calmed down and started build it. Been pretty popular ever since. I think the same will happen here. A few tweaks here and there or what ever makes you happy and enjoy the build.