Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Does anybody know which '76 Chevy Vega Funny Car will be released? Is it the long wheelbase coupe body, or the short (stock-ish) wheelbase Van body kit they used to do???

If it's the van body kit (!!!), I'm in for one, Coca-Cola graphics or no...   

I'd assume the wagon, since the long wheelbase hatchback ones I've seen pics of were MPC kits.   There was also a long wheelbase stretched nose panel van funny car kit from AMT that was done as an Astre and Vega.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

I'd assume the wagon, since the long wheelbase hatchback ones I've seen pics of were MPC kits.   There was also a long wheelbase stretched nose panel van funny car kit from AMT that was done as an Astre and Vega.

I'm not so up on the Funny Car offerings from AMT in the '70's. I do remember an AMT Vega/ Astre kit from back then. 

I'm REALLY hoping for the short wheelbase, stock-ish bodied Van- I have a junk Monza somewhere that can give some parts over for making it into a street machine.  

It would be nice to also have some MPC Funnies from the late '70's back, too (Vega, Omni, Firebird)...

On 7/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, niteowl7710 said:
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1164 1/25 Big Rig Semi Trailer $42.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1165 1/25 Coca-Cola Fruehauf Holiday Hauler Semi Trailer $47.95 TBA

I wonder what these trailers are going to be?

A few thoughts and comments...

Interesting to note the Willys doesn't include the coupe body. I find it interesting the motor is labeled a Drag racing motor. I'm pretty sure that's an Olds and one of the few of those available. Worth buying a few more for the parts. To really make an accurate pick up, find the Drag City Casting body. This takes the best elements of the Revell coupe and merges it with the AMT Willys. Neither the AMT or Revell Willys pick ups are great. AMT missed on the front end and the less said about Revell's the better.

I've tried to decode some of the other drag pieces.

1/25 1976 Chevy Vega Funny Car- the only 1976 Vega funny car offered is the AMT with its attempt of a Logghe frame. Its also much closer to a 1974 front end. Has a pretty good big block Chevy in it and a few other parts worth stealing. I've often wondered if you had a stock Vega if you could make a good Vega wagon out of it. The body does appear pretty close to stock. If only Round2 would re-release the Vega Pro Stock that was promised three years ago.

1/25 Fooler Fueler Digger Dragster- I can't figure this one out at all. No images of it are available on line that Since Round2 does pretty good at licensing, I'm betting this is a reissue of the Digger dragster last offered with Stardust decals. It could also be the Hippie Hemi. Of course, there may be something in the Polar Light kits like the Snap Draggins that hasn't been issued and this is a totally new mold. Right....

1/25 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi Under Glass- This is a reissue of the old AMT kit that's been a couple of different things, Mad Mackerel or the HUG. Seems right as AMT seems to be dusting off the molds of their old A F/X inspired funny cars. Maybe they'll take a chance and offer the Chevelle again.

1/25 Don Garlits Wynns Jammer Dragster-  I have close to a full case of these from the last issue. Last reissued as the Hemisphere dragster. This is one of the better dragster kits out there. For 1/24 front engined cars, this, the Revell Tony Nancy double set and the Tommy Ivo car are the three best. Each does a food job representing a different era in the evolution of the front engined dragster. Hopefully Round2 will improve the decals although they're already much better than the Garlits rear engined rail. Maybe they'll offer a bonus of both the clear body and one molded in regular plastic. If they do that, maybe they'll actually cut new molds and correct the body. Of course, I may also win the lottery.

4 hours ago, iBorg said:

1/25 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi Under Glass- This is a reissue of the old AMT kit that's been a couple of different things, Mad Mackerel or the HUG. Seems right as AMT seems to be dusting off the molds of their old A F/X inspired funny cars. Maybe they'll take a chance and offer the Chevelle again.

The Chevelle was converted to the Modified Stocker around 1971.  Not coming back as the funny car, short of a totally new tool.

Regarding the 76 Vega FC: If they decided to rebrand the MPC Vega FC as AMT this could be it as it uses the same chassis as the Soapy Sales Dodge and Kaliita and Hot Rod Mustang FCs from a few years back (EDIT - upon further review, I am not sure I am right on that)

On the other hand the below “late model” AMT Vega FC uses the same chassis as the Trojan Horse Mustang 2 they put out recently.  That kit has numerous issues including no pedals or shifter!  And this Vega body is a pretty wild interpretation of what a Vega Wagon FC would have looked like.  

E20C7856-DFFE-467B-9529-70959A48FDFA.jpeg

BA58F6A8-111B-46F9-B313-E5F577BD3017.jpeg

Edited by Chris in Berwyn