Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT-1124 Supernatural Impala

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'm surprised they were able to find that many 67 4dht's left to fill out the shows. As well as clean 80s era chrome pinwheel type rims for them all. After 50 years, It's not like that many people collect 4 door hardtops. They're not 69 Chargers or 78 Trans Ams, after all!

The wheels you can easily still buy from US Wheel and probably a couple other brands. As for the bodies themselves, I'm sure there were plenty sitting in junkyards down south that they just patched and threw some paint on, since no one wanted to buy them to rebuild back then. I've noticed in some junkyard videos that they tend to have more of the 4-door, lesser loved vehicles.

18 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

I'm working on one now, and what an awful kit. I clearanced the rear of the interior tub to let the chassis settle in better, and made tabs so the back of the chassis would have somewhere to locate, but when I assembled the interior and glass, there was more interference! When I set the rear of the chassis, the front comes out, when I set the front, the rear comes out.. Anyone ever figure out what to modify to make this car buildable? You'd never think that these are the same people that make the 63 nova wagon 

Your glass problem is the wing windows.  They don't fit well with the interior tub.  It's been a little bit since I built this one, but as I recall, the tub cuts in around the windows but not nearly enough.  I had to thin the wall on the interior and cut down the wing window slightly to get them to fit together.  

Had to do the same thing as you with the back side of the interior.  I opened the trunk so I had the hinge bracket I made to attach the rear of the interior to.  But overall yes, it is a struggle to get the interior to fit where it should.  

23 hours ago, disconovaman said:

That's because it's not the same people 😄 The 63 Nova wagon was made by a completely different generation of people from the 60's 😁

I'm pretty sure the nova is a brand new kit, it looks pretty modern, just done in the original style

8 hours ago, Beans said:

Your glass problem is the wing windows.  They don't fit well with the interior tub.  It's been a little bit since I built this one, but as I recall, the tub cuts in around the windows but not nearly enough.  I had to thin the wall on the interior and cut down the wing window slightly to get them to fit together.  

Had to do the same thing as you with the back side of the interior.  I opened the trunk so I had the hinge bracket I made to attach the rear of the interior to.  But overall yes, it is a struggle to get the interior to fit where it should.  

Yeah I bent and filed a lot, lucky my build was patina so it wasn't an issue peeling off the body multiple times. I had to superglue the chassis so the car wouldn't sit so high. I didn't have nearly this much trouble building the 67 coupe in high school. I wouldve figured the front half is same

Edited by Hondamatic
Added

1 hour ago, Hondamatic said:

I'm pretty sure the nova is a brand new kit,

And you would be pretty wrong about that, here is the original annual first issued in the sixties.  Round II used the original tools created by people from the sixties.  Here's another fact, the original 67 Impala SS 427 was issued in the 90's... this is the kit Round II modified the tools for on the Supernatural release. So another completely different set of people designed that kit as well. 😆🤣😂

Screenshot_20211026-211140_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 hours ago, disconovaman said:

And you would be pretty wrong about that, here is the original annual first issued in the sixties.  Round II used the original tools created by people from the sixties. 

The Nova is a brand new kit.

Perhaps you should review the discussion in the Craftsman wagon thread. 

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

The Nova is a brand new kit.

Wow! I must be living in the Twilight Zone... it was my understanding that Round II made improvements to an existing promotional tooling... my definition of a "brand new" kit and yours is different. Sorry about that... 

Here is the discussion, in part from the Craftsman wagon thread... 

This is a re-tooled copy of the original Craftsman kit with some modest improvements. Round 2 is calling it Craftsman Plus. Updates include clear headlamps and clear red tail lamp lens that have been added along with a side view mirror.  Kit style wheel covers, wheel backs and tires instead of the original promo style pieces.  Glass is now two separate front and rear pieces.  The front metal axle is replaced by pins.  There's also a couple of optional interior accessories included and all new decal sheet with some "fun" commercial graphics and along with the instrument face and body scripts for those who prefer them over paint or foil.   The box is a tribute to the original packaging.  The rest will be identical to the original Craftsman kit. 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! I must be living in the Twilight Zone... it was my understanding that Round II made improvements to an existing promotional tooling... my definition of a "brand new" kit and yours is different. Sorry about that... 

Here is the discussion, in part from the Craftsman wagon thread... 

This is a re-tooled copy of the original Craftsman kit with some modest improvements. Round 2 is calling it Craftsman Plus. Updates include clear headlamps and clear red tail lamp lens that have been added along with a side view mirror.  Kit style wheel covers, wheel backs and tires instead of the original promo style pieces.  Glass is now two separate front and rear pieces.  The front metal axle is replaced by pins.  There's also a couple of optional interior accessories included and all new decal sheet with some "fun" commercial graphics and along with the instrument face and body scripts for those who prefer them over paint or foil.   The box is a tribute to the original packaging.  The rest will be identical to the original Craftsman kit. 

To be clear, the recently released 63 Chevy II wagon kits are best described as reproduction.   They may be based on the original design but the tooling is 100% new.  No previously existing tooling was used in it's production.  What's left of the original tool still exist as the "Boss Nova" mid engine drag wagon.  It was modified past the point of any restoration.  They don't share anything.   

In comparison, the Supernatural Impala kit is considered a Modified reissue.   It contains some new tooling but the rest is from the Impala SS kit first issued around '97.   Unlike the "Boss Nova" Wagon the Impala SS version can be still be reissued in the future as the Supernatural specific parts are in addition to the existing tooling. 

-Steve 

21 minutes ago, SteveG said:

They may be based on the original design but the tooling is 100% new.  No previously existing tooling was used in it's production. 

Yes sir, There is no question to weather or not the tooling dies are new... but the aforementioned comments are in question as to what company designed the tooling... Round II or AMT? I guess it's fair to give credit to both companies, AMT for the design and Round II for reproducing the tools for the original kit while slightly improving  it in the process. 

I think it was a smart decision on Round Two's part to create separate 4 door tooling for the Supernatural car and keep the 2 door kit as an option for future releases.  Because if Amt had done that with the Boss Nova then the Craftsman wagon could have continued on as an AMT kit. 

Edited by disconovaman