Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '41 Willys Street Rod

crowe-t

Here's a Revell '41 Willys I recently finished.  It's inspired by a 1:1 reddish-brown '41 Willys I found pictures of online(pictures attached).  The 1:1 has a picture of Marilyn Monroe on the trunk lid.  I came up with the idea to put a decal of my cat Harley, who passed away 3 years ago, on the trunk lid and my wife loved it so I went with it.  I also had a 1941 NY license plate made with her(Harley's) name.  It's a cooky idea but I made this one for my wife and it makes her happy.  The 1:1 Willys color was made custom to match the owner's wife's hair color and my wife also has auburn hair so this worked out well.     

Gravity Colors made me a custom color.  It looks more brown in person but does look reddish under different lighting.  I lowered the front end and moved the front wheels inward so they don't rub the fenders.  The firewall is modified and the rear wheel openings are made smaller to resemble a '41 Willys body from Outlaw Performance.  Since I built the firewall out I had to move the engine forward.  The Enderle Bug Catcher injector scoop is from a Revell '68 Corvette and the front wheels are actually a set of rear wheels from a Revell 40 Coupe Street Rod.  The front wheels that come with the Revell '41 Willys represent 13" in 1:1 so I changed them out.

Below is a link to the online build.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/129255-revell-41-willys-street-rod/   

Thanks for looking in! :)

IMG_0524 Small.jpg5d2cbebb5edc2_IMG_0554Small.jpg.d90b43bd0f8cb8198e0d32ff986c2808.jpg

IMG_0531 Small.jpg

IMG_0549 Small.jpg

IMG_0565 Small.jpg

IMG_0527 Small.jpg

IMG_0590 Small.jpg

IMG_0564 Small.jpgIMG_0306 Small.jpg

ca0817-300081_1@2x.jpg

ca0817-300081_3@2x.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Very nice build, love the metallic brown.  One small point that will improve the look with very little effort.  See if you can add a flat black wash to the front grille.  By filling in the gaps, the chrome bars will stand out better and the grille will have a better 3D look to it......... just a thought, but either way, it looks beautiful.

Thanks for all the nice comments!  It's just a little something to make my wife and I feel good.  The paw prints were sprayed on with a stencil I had made.

I painted gold under my cat's decal since it was printed on clear paper.  From some angles the golds looks more white like her fur was.    

Peter Lombardo - I did put a slight black wash in the grill.  It shows better in person but it is there.