Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling for fun.....again!

On 8/28/2019 at 12:13 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Many years ago I was in Cincinnati on business and walked past a Chinese restaurant.  They had a huge two sided sign on the sidewalk proclaiming  "Prawn Dinner Special!" , The place was empty.  I thought nobody in Ohio knew what a prawn was, other than the Chinese guy who found it in a Chinese to English dictionary!

There other “interesting” things to be found in the Ohio river that might wind up in a Cincinnati restaurant?

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago I was intent on adding more and more accuracy and complications into building. It was fun, but I began realizing that I had left the fun behind. I quit building cars and began building mahogany boat models again. When I came back to car models, I began building for fun only. I tend to only build curbside or lightly detailed models. I started buying up the kits I loved as a kid and am building them.

Interesting post. I feel the same as most here. Last year I finished a 1/12 model factory hiro kit and it was tough. It was endless. 10 months . The only thing that kept me going was I really liked the subject but that’s why we build. The details on the kit are the best. Had to try one. I bought several hiro kits but are not going to do them anytime soon. The hiro kit was soo intense that I stopped building for several months. Back to 1/25-24 my first love. More fun . Not going to build the other hiro kits for a long time. Matter of fact I bought a lot of 1/12 and 1/20 tamiya kits from a collection. I believe it was 7, 1/12 kits and 8 1/20 kits and they were a lot cheaper than one hiro kit.Just do what you like and don’t worry, be happy!

14 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Years ago I was intent on adding more and more accuracy and complications into building. It was fun, but I began realizing that I had left the fun behind. I quit building cars and began building mahogany boat models again. When I came back to car models, I began building for fun only. I tend to only build curbside or lightly detailed models. I started buying up the kits I loved as a kid and am building them.

It became fun for me once I stopped adding detail to impress contest judges.  I stopped chasing that cutting edge of modeling because it just wasn't fun.  Today when I add more to a model it's for the sense of personal achievement... the "do I think I can?" and then I'm pleased when I accomplish it.  

The minute I find time to work on a model, I'm having fun. Something about this hobby brings back my childhood like nothing else. I do enjoy adding a few important (to me) details, but a lot of later-tooled kits provide a VERY satisfying right-outta-da-box sort of build. Overall presentation is key; as one of my painting professors used to say, '"I don't care how well you paint the eye, I don't care if you think you can paint every eyelash; if you can't get it in the right location on the face, you have lost the likeness, and the whole portrait."  So it goes with models, more details don't necessarily mean better model; first you gotta conquer the basics. Someone else here mentioned Tim Boyd's building style, and Tim's articles and models were an inspiration for me as well when I got back into this hobby in the early 90s. His cars focused on an overall concept, and he sweated the stance to get just the look he wanted. I like that approach. A good sketch beats a bad painting every time! It's easy to get swept up with the wealth of resources we have available to us today. It's hard to not want. I have to remind myself to keep it fun, too. I love seeing a well crafted, scratch built model that is nearly indiscernible from real, and can respect the craftsman that made it, but that ain't me, and never will be. I have a couple of Impala projects under construction that I hope to make realistic, but not enough to fool anyone! I'm having fun with them, and if were a Dave Deal Glitterbug, or a Horten 229, it would feel the same to me. It must be that way for most of us; look at the views of a good build thread - it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest kit, a zillion modelers will check in to see another Monogram Bad Man kit built! (AS THEY SHOULD)