Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is "Brite Touch" primer any good?

Hey, guys... I may have read on here at some point that DupliColor makes the Brite Touch line of paints/primers... Is the primer any good, as far as sanding smooth and accepting the Perfect Match paints? I'm needing a lower cost alternative for primer, especially since the paints are now $10.50 a can.....

Thanks....!

I agree with the above two, also it smooths as it dries. If you get a booger in normal primer like dupli-color or whatever brand you have a booger when its dried. With Tamiya don't panic let it dry and when you come back booger gone, amazing, the only primer I know will do this. Pricey yes but no foul ups and worth the money.

Try it? If you don't like it, you can use it up on frames, engines, etc. I love Tamiya primer, but I paid $14.50 for the last can I bought. I haven't found any Tamiya paint at any of my local HLs anyway. I bought a can of Testors paiint at HL today with the coupon  and it was around 45 cents cheaper than the LHS charges, but the LHS was out of the color I wanted. 

I use Brite-Touch primers often, either as a sanding primer, a finish primer or as a flat paint. I prefer the Brite-Touch red oxide primer for its shade of red to the Duplicolor equivalent. It's more like the classic hot rod red oxide shade. Their grey primer is much lighter in shade than the Duplicolor Hot Rod Gray primer which is so dark it tends to darken color coats. I use the Brite-Touch black primer as my general purpose flat black. I only wish they made a white primer. As far as performance is considered Brite-Touch primers have good blocking qualities, protect styrene from lacquers, and fill and sand down nicely, so no complaints, and at 60% of the price of Duplicolor it's becoming my go-to. I also can recommend the Brite-Touch gloss colors, black and white. Nice basic lacquers that can be used as final color coats with good results. I agree that Tamiya white primer gives superior results to virtually anything out their, but it's so expensive that it's shear folly to use it as a working primer for bodywork.

Edited by Bernard Kron

I agree that Tamiya is great! Not only does it have the extolled properties listed above, but it also lays down VERY smooth and thin and does not cover up a lot of detail. One of the few paints that I do not mind shooting straight from the can. I also use the Hobby Lobby coupon.

Having said that, I tend not to use it as filler/sanding primer, but rather my finish primer. For filler primer, I use Testors Lacquer  sanding. i try to avoid most automotive or household primers, because I never know how they will react with plastic or body work that  have done. I will also use sealers when appropriate to avoid bleed-through or ghosting.