Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Trekker, Type 181

8 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Sweet, kinda surprised it wasn't done in plastic before now but that body looks good. I'll be looking forward to getting a couple

Yes, I'm pretty surprised as well, I'll defiantly be getting one, when I was growing up in southern Spain during the 60's and 70's, a family friend had one, he lived up in the mountains in a log cabin, apart from a 4x4 this was the only thing that could make it up the road going up there, the trip was a little bumpy getting up there, but as a kid, a lot of fun, very fond memories....

If its made by scale production, it might be hard to find. I believe they only make limited numbers of each transkit as theydont stay on their shop for long. To get one of each of their mk3 jetta transkits took me a month of daily searching so if you want these,  you need to buy it when you see it. Their resin is really top quality and no thicker than plastic

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

If its made by scale production, it might be hard to find. I believe they only make limited numbers of each transkit as they dont stay on their shop for long. To get one of each of their mk3 jetta transkits took me a month of daily searching so if you want these,  you need to buy it when you see it. Their resin is really top quality and no thicker than plastic

No kidding, I've learned that over the years!  For example, try finding this kit, which could work just as well.  It would be even better, if there is a Syncro (AWD) to stitch underneath.

IMG_6943_Fotor.jpg

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

No kidding, I've learned that over the years!  For example, try finding this kit, which could work just as well.  It would be even better, if there is a Syncro (AWD) to stitch underneath.

IMG_6943_Fotor.jpg

Theres a few different versions of that kit. I have the desert and europe military versions and they often pop up cheaper than the egg girls versions. Really nice kits and well worth having if you like vws

• 1 month later...

Very nice to see this VW 181 coming! This Scale Production VW is based on a 3D-modeling I made some years ago. I then built one from 3D-printed parts. I used Tamiya Beetle as a base and this Scale Production VW Thing will also be based on Tamiya Beetle.

My build from 3D-printed parts:

http://www.eerokumanto.com/cars/scale-models/vw-thing

20 minutes ago, Eero said:

Very nice to see this VW 181 coming! This Scale Production VW is based on a 3D-modeling I made some years ago. I then built one from 3D-printed parts. I used Tamiya Beetle as a base and this Scale Production VW Thing will also be based on Tamiya Beetle.

My build from 3D-printed parts:

http://www.eerokumanto.com/cars/scale-models/vw-thing

Good to hear that it's going to be based on the Tamiya Beetle, I've got one in the stash that I wasn't sure what to do with, I've already built one many years ago, I'll be building mine in the same fetching colour of beige, the same as the one owned by a family friend owned in southern Spain back in the 1970's

ffb9ab10-bdd6-11e5-9fcc-1e005c397bb6.jpg