Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Datsun Fairlady 240Z

polybius

When my niece turned 16 last year, I promised to build a car of her choosing if she drove for a year without tickets or accidents.  She's turning out to be a good driver so here we are!  

This is the first kit I've completed in more than seven years.  Slow to finish.. quick to start.. you know how it goes.  This one got its first coat of primer on 11/4/18 and was finished and delivered to her on 11/3/19 ;)

Other than Watanabe wheels sourced from another kit, a set of tires from the parts bin, and mirror relocation to match the left-hand-drive conversion, it is otherwise box stock including a GT-R 2.0L DOHC 6-cyl engine for the 432R version.  Since this is destined to be a shelf model I didn't go through the effort and fabrication required to cut open the hood.  It's odd that Fujimi incuded such a detailed engine in a curbside. The finish is Duplicolor Graphite Mica with Rustoleum lacquer clearcoat that was wet sanded and polished.  She picked the color combination and was excited to see it in person.  

Finishing a kit after many years of muddling with works-in-progress has been inspiring, and helped to jump start at least one or two other projects that will finally be finished in the coming days.  

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5765 (1).jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg