Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Marker Pens

I too love the pens. My 1st was a 2mm. It didn't want to flow at first but after some pumping on the tip it has worked ever since. For super fine work I purchased a 1mm tip. That one worked right out of the package. BEST solution for marred kit chrome and sprue removal scars.

Here's a suggestion that is not as crazy as it sounds...... Molotow Liquid Chrome Pen is best applied over a high gloss surface....... for me, the highest gloss surface that I have ever produced is using Yacht Varnish...... which means, what I do is to apply a coat of cheap Wilko yacht varnish over the area of the scale model car that I wish to chrome, then allow to dry for 24 hours and finally apply the Liquid Chrome. The technique that seems to work best, is to ' stroke ' the surface of the plastic or resin part with the tip of the Molotow pen as though you are using a brush, and only brush stroke it once...... you cannot go over the area a second time, or it will spoil the finish. Also, if you store the pens in a vertical upright position, say in a glass jar, there will be no blockages or failure to work. When shaking the pen before use, hold it vertically and keep the cap on !

David

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Oldschool4x4 said:

I've been using a Decocolor pen for some time now and really can not see the difference between it and BMF on small stuff like trim around windows and small scripts. But it looks a bit smeared on large parts. Plus its never has dried up or puked on the paint.LOL

I just found one of these today at Walmart and picked it up to try. Very favorably impressed so far. 

Not quite as bright and "chromy" as Molotow, but not far off. Definitely brighter than my beloved Silver Sharpie. Takes a while to dry, unlike Silver Sharpie, which dries in seconds. Decocolor was dry to the touch in about an hour, though--not too bad and quicker than Molotow. Seems to be more durable than Molotow, too. 

I just used it for the rocker panel chrome trim on a silver-painted diecast Porsche 356. The Silver Sharpie is completely unsatisfactory for this--not enough contrast with silver paint. The Decocolor looks pretty good here. Also, one of the hubcaps on the Porsche had a large spot of missing chrome, which I touched up with the Decocolor and it looks pretty good. Not perfect but you have to know the spot is there and go looking for it to see it. 

The Decocolor cost about $3, versus $12 for Molotow (if you even have that available in your town). Good deal! I think I'll pick up a couple more next week. As soon as you find something good, they stop making it (or Walmart stops carrying it).