Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Testors Extreme Lacquer

I have been working on a couple of builds that are mostly in Rust-Oleum 2X primer. I am wanting to use the Testors Extreme Lacquer to paint them. My question is will it be ok to paint the  lacquer over the enamel primer? I know that's a no no when using automotive paints, but not sure about paints for plastic models. I would shoot an old body, but the weather is to darn cold here right now, so thought I could get some go advice here.

I have also been decanting rattle cans and using my air brush cause I just can't get the testors paints to lay down smooth. Any recommendations on using the rattle cans is appreciated.

The "Extreme" in the Testor lacquer name means little or nothing. These "lacquers" are quite mild and I've never had them react with ANY kind of underlying paint, including Testor enamels, both flat and gloss. They are VERY user-friendly. 

2 hours ago, Chevy II said:

I have been working on a couple of builds that are mostly in Rust-Oleum 2X primer. I am wanting to use the Testors Extreme Lacquer to paint them. My question is will it be ok to paint the  lacquer over the enamel primer? I know that's a no no when using automotive paints, but not sure about paints for plastic models. I would shoot an old body, but the weather is to darn cold here right now, so thought I could get some go advice here.

I have also been decanting rattle cans and using my air brush cause I just can't get the testors paints to lay down smooth. Any recommendations on using the rattle cans is appreciated.

Get yourself a coffee warmer and a large enough coffee cup to hold a spray can...

Fill the cup with hot water and put it on the coffee warmer and place the can in there for about 30 minutes while you prep...

Then the paint should atomize and spray quite a bit better.

But, nothing beats using the airbrush when it comes to controlling the flow of paint/air...

Warm up the can. It will change your life... lol!

Be careful with "hot" water and spray cans. They can explode. The warnings on those cans are there for a reason. You don't want to have paint spewed all over your workshop.

I would highly discourage anybody from making the can warmer than a 100 deg. F. You need to be able to put your hand in the warm water without any discomfort.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Be careful with "hot" water and spray cans. They can explode. The warnings on those cans are there for a reason. You don't want to have paint spewed all over your workshop.

I would highly discourage anybody from making the can warmer than a 100 deg. F. You need to be able to put your hand in the warm water without any discomfort.

I agree with you.

However, I have been using a standard desktop coffee warmer, and a coffee mug to warm paint cans for years without incident.

I wouldn't recommend putting a can directly on the warmer though as that can get over 100 degrees.

If you submerge in water using a ceramic or other insulated mug it shouldn't get any warmer than about 80-90 degrees in a half hour period.

But yea, fully agree use caution!

I didn't know Rustoleum 2X primer was enamel. Back in August I primed 8 projects with the Flat White, Flat Gray, and Flat Black 2X primer and a couple of weeks later using the spray cans, sprayed Tamiya on 2 and Testors Extreme Lacquer and Model Master Lacquer on the other two with no problems at all. So unless they make 2X in enamel and lacquer and I used lacquer, there should be no problem. 

An example of one of the cans I useds-l400.jpg.e966937802e9506b5230578df51f959d.jpg

The cars I painted over the 2X primer withwinter_projects.thumb.JPG.50db4190dfa5567c1b3d353d44eb4a4f.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066