Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Bronco Baja Kit

Started this nice kit after reading such good things about it. So far its been a fun kit to build. Waiting on some parts to come in but here is the start of my build. Going to go with Gravity colors Elenor Pepper Gray with the black hood and top. Took the top half of the engine from the Mustang drag car. Will have some more progress pictures as I move along with the build. Thanks for looking. 

IMG-6845.jpg

IMG-6876.jpg

IMG-6878.jpg

IMG-6846.jpg

IMG-6556.jpg

IMG-6558.jpg

Edited by Hawk5.0
picture size

• 2 weeks later...

This just reminded me that I need to jump on mine and finish it... not too much left for me, I just lost interest near the finish line. Neat little kit, I've got two more to build since I started this one... Photo for inspiration... not that you need it, Yours is coming along nicely ?

Screenshot_20200209-212743~2.png

IMG_2300.thumb.jpeg.fb4bdb3f8ee741410d9a65f79cc60351.jpegIMG_2301.thumb.jpeg.6950ab4daae272b7ec6d8faa4bd1fee0.jpeg

Which Bronco Kit are you starting with?

If you started with the Baja Bronco, you encountered the same problem I had with the kit.

The kit came with the body without the wheel flares as shown on the box art.

No problem, Fireball Motorworks has the flares and a "boat-load" of goodies for the Bronco.

31 minutes ago, curt raitz said:

I was told there was a mix up at the factory and some of the factory bodies were accidentally in place of the Baja Bodies... The error was corrected but not before some were shipped this error happened on the 57 Black widow car also, the 210 bodies were Belair bodys. I'll bet there were some angry folks when they got those kits?...

3 hours ago, curt raitz said:

IMG_2300.thumb.jpeg.fb4bdb3f8ee741410d9a65f79cc60351.jpegIMG_2301.thumb.jpeg.6950ab4daae272b7ec6d8faa4bd1fee0.jpeg

If you started with the Baja Bronco, you encountered the same problem I had with the kit.

The kit came with the body without the wheel flares as shown on the box art.

No problem, Fireball Motorworks has the flares and a "boat-load" of goodies for the Bronco.

I started with the Baja kit. It came with both bodies. The one with the flares and the one without. I chose to use the one without because I wanted to do the flares from Fireball. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Fireball but have been waiting over a month for it. Hopefully I will eventually get them. He replied to my email and said they had a cold front come through so that has delayed my order. With all the positive reviews from other folks on here I am optomistic. 

6 hours ago, Hawk5.0 said:

I started with the Baja kit. It came with both bodies. The one with the flares and the one without. I chose to use the one without because I wanted to do the flares from Fireball. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Fireball but have been waiting over a month for it. Hopefully I will eventually get them. He replied to my email and said they had a cold front come through so that has delayed my order. With all the positive reviews from other folks on here I am optomistic. 

BOTH bodies!! - Kool.

I'm waiting to send my order in. He did say it was too cold to cast stuff. Hopefully I can get in time for the Desert Scale Classic in Phoenix April 18th.

I've ordered from him before without any problems.

13 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

You will be very happy with the Fireball products, unbelievable accuracy and detail in every thing he offers. If you decide to build one of those with a half cab, check out Olson Bros, they have some old Bronco stuff too!

That is what I am hearing. I guess I am just getting the itch and wanting to hurry up and get these parts on the bronco. 

6 hours ago, Hawk5.0 said:

That is what I am hearing. I guess I am just getting the itch and wanting to hurry up and get these parts on the bronco. 

That is the great thing about Joseph, he lets you know the delay instead of keeping you wondering or casting inferior products and have you feel ripped off. I have spent a good amount of money with him and have an order in now but have no doubts it will be exactly what I am looking for when it shows up!

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is the great thing about Joseph, he lets you know the delay instead of keeping you wondering or casting inferior products and have you feel ripped off. I have spent a good amount of money with him and have an order in now but have no doubts it will be exactly what I am looking for when it shows up!

Yes, I just received a PayPal notification that the parts have been sent. I am looking forward to getting them. I will get some updated pics when the build starts to come along. 

The parts came in from Fireball and they are really nice. Here is the picture of the wheels. I wanted to get a more realistic beadlock look so I drilled out the fake bolts and am going to use some protech bolts to put in. Started on the dash as well. I used a pipe and trimmed it down to make the bezel. I will cut out a clear sheet to make the glass protion and then put the speedo decal in. I also decided I wanted black valve covers for the engine. 

IMG-7139.jpg

IMG-7123.jpg

IMG-7124.jpg

IMG-7062.jpg

IMG-6953.jpg

Edited by Hawk5.0
spelling edit

23 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looks sweet! Engine is looking really good! Text looks crisp. 

Thank you. Almost ready to wire it still working on other parts. I like to jump around so I don’t get to bogged down on one part of the build. 

8 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looks good! Was it big difference between fireballs fenders and the stock kit with fenders?

They actually stick out further. The stock kit fenders almost look like a small fender lip. You can also paint them seperate from the body. If you decide to go with Fireball those flares dont work well with the baja body. They lay down much better on the regular bronco body. 

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, gman said:

Agreed- very nice work so far.

That is an interesting treatment for the seats- do you mind sharing how you got that effect?

Sure. I used medical tape and cut around the inner part of the seat. Then I took some black  acrylic paint really thinned out and painted over the tape. The tape will soak up the paint because it has a cloth like texture.