Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Ford Fairlane GT

DRH_97

Is the bottom photo of the black GT your family ride ? This is a nice kit and a great subject. I built one when they first came out and the only issue I encountered was the wheel backs put the tires, particularly the fronts, to far out. May been the builder, but that is an area you might keep an eye on. Always enjoy building models of cars that I either owned or was somehow attached to when younger.  

I just finished one about a month ago, dark metallic blue with two white racing stripes and a white interior.  I found inspiration from some google images while doing research and fell in love with the scheme.  I'll post a picture of her later on.  It's a nice kit that goes together well in my opinion.

On a somewhat related note, I wish the 66 Mercury Comet Cyclone would get reissued. My dad drove one in the 80s.

Same platform as the Fairlane  if I recall.

I think I also read somewhere that the molds for that kit are long gone, so reissue won't be possible.

Anyway, I like the subject, will be watching!

5 hours ago, espo said:

Is the bottom photo of the black GT your family ride ? This is a nice kit and a great subject. I built one when they first came out and the only issue I encountered was the wheel backs put the tires, particularly the fronts, to far out. May been the builder, but that is an area you might keep an eye on. Always enjoy building models of cars that I either owned or was somehow attached to when younger.  

It is not our car, but looks exactly the same.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, espo said:

On 1/27/2020 at 4:56 PM, DRH_97 said:

It is not our car, but looks exactly the same.

You were right about the front wheel spacing. I cut the backs off and crafted spacers to get the track corrected. I also lowered the front by 1/16" by relocating the spindles.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:44 PM, DRH_97 said:

Stared a new project tonight. This was our family car when I was a teenager in the late 60's. Ours was black, with a 390 4 speed. I actually got to take this hot rod out occasionally.

My father treated himself to a cool car only once.  In 1966 he purchased a new Pontiac Lemans, 2 door hardtop, midnight blue with a white bucket interior, 326  4 speed car.   I never got to drive it. He only had it 2 1/2 years, so I was 9 years old when he sold it.

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

WHich red did you use for the interior? I need a better option that what I'm using now. Yours looks good.

Testors flat red enamel. after it dried i polished it with a soft cloth to add a slight sheen to it

• 1 month later...