Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to plumb turbos ?

Sure would help if you were specific.  Huge difference between a Porsche 959, and a Honda, I had to research the 959 because the kit does not have the complete plumbing.  Not only that, but guys do installations differently for the same engine, if you are doing a V8, one or two turbos?  Want an intercooler included?  Just to give an example, Calloway did this custom setup for Bill Ruger's Stutz, will it work for your application?

8966667002_32fc44dd23_c.jpg

guessing your talking procharger and that style, basically exhaust goes to the hot square side to spin them then to an intercooler then to the intake and a lot of times the fresh air front of the turbo is open but sometimes have an air filter like on street cars

untitled.png.ac34570a8a615665fe61c13a3d3a928d.png

Edited by 440 Dakota

Ok so building a twin turbo v motor . Yes with an intercooler . Does the exhaust go straight into the turbo then off the turbo into the exhaust pipes or is it just branched off the exhaust manifold ? Don't need to bother with a wastegate it's just a model lol but thank you for the help. Kurt obviously that setup won't work for what I'm doing and you can't even see it, so why say something dumb anyways ?

Ken 

nope square on the turbo goes to exhaust manifold or custom built header with a matching square, then from the turbo to the intercooler from the intercooler to the intake, the fresh air the fan blades you see on the front are usually open on race cars and have filters  for street cars like the blue car in the pic, usually turbos are located wherever the space is available  and the tubing is all custom built around their location

maybe this will help

simplified-turbocharger-components.png.da1d4c95aaace86e2a1237a154d24aef.png

Edited by 440 Dakota

36 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

[...] Kurt obviously that setup won't work for what I'm doing and you can't even see it, so why say something dumb anyways ?

Just answering the dumb question, the title didn't mean anything.  I have not perfected mind reading yet. ?  I wish people would be specific when they start a topic.  I'm guessing everyone here builds only V8 street rods.  /end rant/

Plumbing is also different if it's supposed to be a suck-through or blow-through carburetted installation, or port or throttle-body fuel injected.

And there is some confusing gobbledygook already posted.

But in general, the small diagram above (afx's post) is the easiest to understand from a function standpoint and is representative of a port-injected inline engine, though the fuel path isn't shown.

For a twin-turbo V8, you'd have two of everything shown...more or less. 

Feel free to ask specific questions. I build real cars.

EDIT:  What's happening in afx's diagram (reposted below so you don't have to scroll back and forth) and every turbo system on Earth:

Hot exhaust from the exhaust manifolds or headers goes through the turbine to spin it, then out through the tailpipe.

The spinning turbine is connected to the compressor wheel by a shaft, and so spins the compressor wheel.

Cool, clean inlet air comes in to the compressor side where it gets compressed (and also picks up heat in the process). This compressed air goes through the intercooler to cool it somewhat, then goes on into the intake manifold of the engine.

Image result for turbo plumbing diagram

EDIT 2:

Below is a typical component layout for a turbocharged V8. Both turbos blow into a common intercooler, and the cooled air is then directed to the intake manifold. Though this is pretty standard, different installations can arrange components differently (might use two seperate intercoolers, for example), but they all work the same (disregard the MAF; it just means "mass airflow sensor").

Image result for twin turbo v8 diagram

EDIT 3: The exhaust connections on the turbos in the illustration above are shown reversed, wrong, like so much stuff on the interdwerbs. The pink exhaust manifolds should be blowing on the turbine blades, and the red exhaust pipes should come out the center of the turbine housings.

EDIT 4:

The illustration below shows the guts of a typical turbo, and should help in understanding how these things work.

Image result for turbocharger

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks ace youre the man ! Reason I was asking us cause I'm building a Lindberg 64 belvedere with a viper v10 and figure why not go for it all and I seen some turbos for sale on eBay and was thinking to see if I can put them on the viper motor into the belvedere. It's gonna have the viper rear end also. A protouring beast. Lol I personally haven't seen anything like that done yet and especially not to a 64 belvedere. I would either have to stuff them under the hood and maybe modify the hood or I seen someone on YouTube who has the turbos poking through holes in the hood. What do you think about my ideas man ? Should I go for it ? It doesn't have to be mechanically exactly correct just don't wanna look like an idiot and build something plumbed totally wrong. What do you think ? Thanks by the way

Ken

3 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

What do you think about my ideas man ? Should I go for it ? It doesn't have to be mechanically exactly correct just don't wanna look like an idiot and build something plumbed totally wrong. What do you think ? Thanks by the way

You're very welcome. A twin-turbo Viper engine in a Belvedere would be really cool, definitely different.

Plumb it like the V8 above, but don't forget to get the inlets and outlets on the turbines right, and it should look fine.

Something to think about when plumbing a twin turbo setup on a V style engine is that some turbos come in "right side" and "left side" versions (basically a mirror image) and some don't. With the mirrored setup both sides will be pretty much the same but when using two of the same turbos you'll have to clock them a little differently to get the inlets and outlets pointed in the right direction. 

This is a mirrored setup

1968-Mustang-with-a-Twin-Turbo-Ferrari-V8-08.jpg.553c12a35657d54711814db23437653b.jpg

This is two of the same turbo and the plumbing is different 

hqdefault.jpg.5089e032eac5e83525f5371a4d0450ea.jpg

• 1 month later...