Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mystery kit from the past.

My dad was a serious flea market guy back when I was a kid. It was his Sunday thing. He would pick up kits for me with some regularity. One sticks in my head as a favorite at the time, but I've never seen the kit again.

It was a second gen Camaro, with a lift off top. I'm assuming it was lift off because it was missing, but the rear package tray had a little slot where a mounting tab would fit. I got a really slick stance on it and it looked great with that convertible style.

Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

My dad was a serious flea market guy back when I was a kid. It was his Sunday thing. He would pick up kits for me with some regularity. One sticks in my head as a favorite at the time, but I've never seen the kit again.

It was a second gen Camaro, with a lift off top. I'm assuming it was lift off because it was missing, but the rear package tray had a little slot where a mounting tab would fit. I got a really slick stance on it and it looked great with that convertible style.

Any ideas?

I seem to remember a convertible '78-'80-ish Camaro being offered by Airfix or Lindberg. It seemed stock except for a convertible up-top. Perhaps it was a snap together kit, 1/25?   

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

Yeah, I might wait and see if another one pops up. That one likely isn't going anywhere any time soon. On the other hand, the only sold one was $96 so that might be the going price. It seems fairly rare, probably due to its snapness.

Edited by Fat Brian

It may be rare, but it is not a very good kit, I have a built one and it is a very simplified snap kit. The motor, wheels and tires are very toy like. It's one of those kits that is on Ebay for big $$$, but could show up at a local show for $10-$15 dollars......They also made a snap Firebird convertible about the same vintage.