Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I separate this chassis from the body???

If those plastic pegs have been glued in, you're probably going to lose them. 

The front ones, you can probably get a screwdriver underneath them. Pry gently. They might come out, but you might just tear the heads off. Either way will give you information. 

If they pry out, the rear ones might too, but you can't get to them. See if you can get the rear wheels off, then you might be able to work a screwdriver up between the chassis and body and finagle the rear of the chassis loose. 

If the fronts were glued solidly, the rears probably are too. Unfortunately you won't be able to pry on them. If you have a Dremel, you can grind the heads off. If you don't have a Dremel, you can use a drill (even a bare drill bit) to drill them out. 

Good luck with your project. BTW, what kind of car is it? 

agreed - drilling out the head of the peg is probably the best, quickest and easiest, least damage option.  An 1/8" drill in the center of the head on the peg should separate the peg.  Might have to go to a little larger drill if the original builder was more generous with the glue and the chassis plate is actually glued to the body.

Looks like an interesting project - what is it?

I agree with Snake 100%.

Try gently prying them loose first.

Often times these kits were assembled by just pressing the pins in without glue and they will pry out relatively easily.

If it becomes evident that they have been glued, grinding off the heads with a Dremel with a reamer bit is the way to go.

Once the heads are removed and all of the other parts disassembled, you can re-drill the screw posts if you have plans on using a pin assembly system.

Personally, I rarely re-use the posts or pins and invariably almost always remove the front screw posts altogether from the body.

They're a real eyesore and in almost ever case, the front bumper can be re-attached by other means.

By the way, what model is it?

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I think it is probably beyond saving, therefore just throw it in a box and send it to me.  I will dispose of it properly.  Looks like a worthy project.  I think you have been given good advice about removing the pegs.  As far as the glass, the windshield and rear glass do not appear to be very complicated and should be easily replaced with clear acetate, like the stuff used in blister packaging.  Good luck with this project.

As everyone has pointed out the disassembly will depend on how the base plate was attached to the interior and body. I have to think there will be some carnage in this and I would sacrifice the chassis or base and protect the body. The body is the most important part to save in your restoration. I would replace that chassis anyway as it is very basic, unless you're wanting to go a full on restored original model of this car. The Glass parts are going to be one of the easer parts to replace with thin clear plastic from many sources. Please post your build so we can follow along.  

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

BTW, what kind of car is it? 

11 hours ago, Muncie said:

Looks like an interesting project - what is it?

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

By the way, what model is it?

Good to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't identify the car. Looks like I was in good company, too! :lol:

42 minutes ago, espo said:

As everyone has pointed out the disassembly will depend on how the base plate was attached to the interior and body. I have to think there will be some carnage in this and I would sacrifice the chassis or base and protect the body. The body is the most important part to save in your restoration. I would replace that chassis anyway as it is very basic, unless you're wanting to go a full on restored original model of this car. The Glass parts are going to be one of the easer parts to replace with thin clear plastic from many sources. Please post your build so we can follow along.  

Thanks Espo

No I was not planning on saving the chassis but I do want to protect the body!

I would drill through the center of the pin heads, going with larger bits until the chassis loosens.  The builder did a decent job of painting that kit, my guess would be that they weren't heavy handed with the cement.

As for the windows, Okey (who bought some of the remaining Jo-Han assets years ago) was selling loose parts like kit glass.  To my knowledge though, he never had the F-85 coupe glass.  He may have had the station wagon piece, but the windshield doesn't fit the coupe.  Truth be told, all but the earliest run pieces don't even fit the wagon very well.  Try an AMT '66 Nova windshield (some builders used F-85 windshields in Novas, to lose the molded-in mirror detail which was later removed from that kit).  Second choice will be to make your own.