Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 cuda

michelle

2 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Nice.  Looks like you had the same bumper issue I had.  I actually had to invert them to make them look straight.  They still droop a bit, but not as much.  That was the only thing I didn't like about the kit.  The bumper fit wasn't that great.

29457868237_3aeef1cc66_k.jpg1 (148) by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

thanks and i did not understand why the did not fit right i thought  i had then on reveresed as in the one i had on the front   was for the back  and the the one on the back was the front but that did not work  then i though maybe those bumpers were not from this cuda maybe they were from a 68 or another  69 version  offered   since the  car was a rebuilder that was half  broken apart since who ever built it did not even paint it and just built as it came the glue was brown  and brittle  i had to  repaint the bumpers  and grille since there was lots of the crhome gone and i removed most of the rest sanding off the glue  from the bumpers 

Edited by michelle

56 minutes ago, michelle said:

thanks and i did not understand why the did not fit right i thought  i had then on reveresed as in the one i had on the front   was for the back  and the the one on the back was the front but that did not work  then i though maybe those bumpers were not from this cuda maybe they were from a 68 or another  69 version  offered   since the  car was a rebuilder that was half  broken apart since who ever built it did not even paint it and just built as it came the glue was brown  and brittle  i had to  repaint the bumpers  and grille since there was lots of the crhome gone and i removed most of the rest sanding off the glue  from the bumpers 

I think it's just the way they made them.  I'm thinking of going back and working on it some time.

That's pretty wild! Just a couple weeks ago I finished the "rescue" of a survivor orange '69 Cuda I picked up at an estate sale over 25 years ago. 

I didn't notice any particular problems with bumper droop, but maybe I need to take another look at it.....:unsure:

69CudaOrange03.jpg.116544c7ee9fa5287d6c3e90eeccd4e7.jpg

69CudaOrange08.jpg.1a4b0859064acee739b6eeb924e77978.jpg

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That's pretty wild! Just a couple weeks ago I finished the "rescue" of a survivor orange '69 Cuda I picked up at an estate sale over 25 years ago. 

I didn't notice any particular problems with bumper droop, but maybe I need to take another look at it.....:unsure:

yours is a 68 not a 69  cuda look at the side reflectors they are round   only year mopars had round reflectors was in 68  be it dodge ,plymouth  or chryslers  
starting in 69 they were rectangles 

It's a '69, look at the grille and hood and taillights. 

This was built from an '80s reissue that had the incorrect '68 side marker lights. When they reissued it in the '90s, they corrected that. 

They also replaced the Hemi (which this one has) with a correct 383. 

I did steal the wheels and tires out of a current reissue, though. I didn't like the '80s wheels and tires that were on it. B)

51 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It's a '69, look at the grille and hood and taillights. 

This was built from an '80s reissue that had the incorrect '68 side marker lights. When they reissued it in the '90s, they corrected that. 

They also replaced the Hemi (which this one has) with a correct 383. 

I did steal the wheels and tires out of a current reissue, though. I didn't like the '80s wheels and tires that were on it. B)

from what i understand they generally just retooled the  previous years mold  to the next years car each actual car model year   so they would have retooled the 68 cuda kit into a 69 cuda kit   that why all they kept repoping the 69 kit and  thats why they repoped the 69 charger 500  with r/t grille cause the original 69 molds were retooled for the 70 charger 

9 hours ago, michelle said:

from what i understand they generally just retooled the  previous years mold  to the next years car each actual car model year   so they would have retooled the 68 cuda kit into a 69 cuda kit   that why all they kept repoping the 69 kit and  thats why they repoped the 69 charger 500  with r/t grille cause the original 69 molds were retooled for the 70 charger 

That's generally what happened, yes. I've never owned an original MPC '69 Cuda model so I don't know if they retooled the marker lights back in 1969 but I can tell you that this '80s reissue came through with the '68 type lights, even though the rest of it is a '69. I have an original MPC '68 promo in the Snakepit and the front and rear ends are different from the '69s--like yours, mine, and David's. It's definitely a '69. Trust me. I was there. B)