Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Phaeton Street Rod

mrmike

I figured that now is a good time to start this project for the upcoming Classic Plastic Model Club Exhibition Club Challenge in October.  This is the AMT '32 Ford Phaeton and I will be building this straight out of the box in honor of the late Barry Fadden.  I will be building this as a hot rod/street rod.  My paints will be Testors One Coat Lacquer Mystic Emerald for the body and Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black for the fenders.  Barry had built a '27 Ford in a simular color combo and his model is the influence for this build.  The instructions are calling for the same size tire all around and to me, it has to be big 'n littles.  The engine will be a modern V8.  Thank you AMT for including an engine stand in the kit!

More Phaeton to come...

32Phaeton01.JPG

32Phaeton02.JPG

32Phaeton03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!  Trying to determine how I want this to look.  No top, hood, but no hood sides.  Back wheels and tires sticking out of the fenders?  Maybe shorten the rear axle to pull the wheels and tires in?  I guess I'll have to wait and see on that!

I have always liked this kit, from day one, molded in black. Great to see you choose this as your next build. Like all Deuces there are so many variations in build style, that nearly all are unique. Recently there have been a number of builds of the kit on the forum, good to see!

Will follow your progress, cheers Misha

• 1 month later...

I had the paintbooth fired up to paint some parts for my '60 Chevy Fleetside, so I dug out the Testors Mystic Emerald and painted the wheels, grille and dashboard.  I would have painted the body as well, but I am still doing bodywork on it.

More '32 Phaeton to come...

32Phaeton04.JPG

32Phaeton05.JPG

32Phaeton06.JPG

I have like two or three projects, started some time ago, based on this kit and a couple more based on chopped up Revell Tudor sedans. So I am very interested to see how this comes out. Phaetons are my favorite body stiles for '30s Fords. Can't understand why wouldn't Revell continue their '32 series with a phaeton. 

If I had to hazzard a guess, I would say that Phaetons are not that common and many builders prefer a 2-door vehicle.  As individuals, some of us like what is considered an odd vehicle, ie Phaetons, 4-doors or even mainliners, but as a whole, the model companies need to make money to stay in business and they produce what the marketplace would support.  Revell might have wanted to produce a '32 Phaeton to go with their 3 and 5 Window coupes and the Tudor Sedan, but they probably couldn't come up with a business plan that would support a Phaeton.  Like I said, I'm guessing here...   

16 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Revell might have wanted to produce a '32 Phaeton to go with their 3 and 5 Window coupes and the Tudor Sedan, but they probably couldn't come up with a business plan that would support a Phaeton.  Like I said, I'm guessing here...   

Both the 32 and Model A series were interrupted by the bankruptcy. Who knows what we would’ve seen. The good news is that some of the same people are involved in the new company so let’s see what happens. 

Tom, I'm just glad that Revell is still around and producing product!  It may not be as it was before the bankruptcy, but they do seem to be on the right path.  I rarely build a street rod and the late Barry Fadden was a very big help in getting me started building one with his much valued advise.  I built the Monogram '30 Ford Model A Touring Street Rod and it is a reminder of Barry's generous help and advise.

ModelA01.JPG

ModelA07.JPG

ModelA08.JPG

ModelA09.JPG

Edited by mrmike

4 minutes ago, mrmike said:I rarely build a street rod and the late Barry Fadden was a very big help in getting me started building one with his much valued advise.  I built the Monogram '30 Ford Model A Touring Street Rod and it is a reminder of Barry's generous help and advise.

Very nice! Both Barry and Del are sorely missed! It was a shocker to lose both of them in such a short time span. 

Yes, it was a shocker for sure!  I surely miss them both and I am moving forward with the knowledge they have both passed on to me.  But, Barry sure can build a street rod and nobody can match Del when building engines!

Hi Mike, I know you said at the start that you were planning to build it box stock but having finished my own phaeton last year, could I respectfully suggest two upgrades?

One, ditch the tyres!  These things do nothing for a street rod! They are the wrong diameter and width for any respectable hot rod, no matter what style you build.  Seeing as how you already acknowledge that you must have big and littles ( I agree!) my favourites are the Monogram Michelin TRX or unbranded later versions for the front, and Monogram GT radials for the rear - they were in most of their early muscle car kits.

Secondly, the kit windshield bares little resemblance to the real thing.  If you have a Monogram 1/24th or Revell 1/25th windshield in your parts box, it will overcome the toy like appearance of the AMT item. 

By the way, your gold 30 tub is gorgeous - it has completely changed the plans I had for my own version!  That is so sweet, and almost box stock!  Love it!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, John and Carl!  

I am aware of the shortfalls of this kit and Iwould love to chnage them, but the rules of the Club Challenge for my Club restricts me to "out-of-box".  I just have to come up with something within the rules.

I got the '32 up on four wheels and did a mockup with the body.  It is looking good with the lowered front suspension, but I wished I could have lowered it some more.  So far, the rake is good.  The interior and the engine has been painted.  The engine was painted a second time using some Humbrol Dragoon Green and I will clearcoat it with some Semi Gloss Clear later.  The steering wheel and the windshield frame will be painted with Alclad II Gloss Black Base and then with Alclad II Chrome followed by Alclad II Kleer Kote.

More Phaeton to come...

32Phaeton13.JPG

32Phaeton14.JPG

32Phaeton15.JPG

Hi Mike,  Your colour choice  is very nice, not one I would have thought of.  Can I make one more suggestion?  That chopped windshield looks like it was made from railway track!  With a sharp Xacto you could trim the frame on all four sides to at least half the width that AMT made it.  To keep to the out of the box theme, i am pretty sure you could then fit or modify to fit the glass from the stock screen.  These  chopped windshields look really clunky if you don't put them on  diet.  Of course, if you're not allowed to change it I understand but it is a little cheat that would go a long way in my humble opinion!

Cheers

Alan