Model Cars Magazine Forum

Little Red Express rebuild

I built this sometime around 1995. While it looked good in the cabinet, the 4x4 ride height and the big block four speed bugged me.

While dusting it off a few years ago, some pieces fell off. Into the box it went, for that "someday" when it'd get fixed.

"Someday" has arrived...

I lowered it, and added some period-looking white letter tires. 

Turfed the big block four speed powertrain and used a resin-cast small block auto, with a column shift. The engine is ready to go in, just as soon as the motor mounts are finished up. Going to add the fresh air intake system, as well.

Working on some clear headlights and turn signals, and some better underhood detailing.

Happy with how it's sitting now.:)

Comments always welcome.

LRE.jpg

Nice looking truck , have a friend that has one .

Is it just me or does it look "off" that the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel opening ? Looking on line at the pics , there are trucks , obviously rebuilt, with it both ways , even and forward spaced . 

th?id=OIP.5v42bjkdn-ZV_Y52piAGawHaDY&pid=Api even

th?id=OIP.UvVznJAF-clK9Oo_KowIiwHaEK&pid=Apiforward

?????

5 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Nice looking truck , have a friend that has one .

Is it just me or does it look "off" that the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel opening ? Looking on line at the pics , there are trucks , obviously rebuilt, with it both ways , even and forward spaced . 

th?id=OIP.5v42bjkdn-ZV_Y52piAGawHaDY&pid=Api even

th?id=OIP.UvVznJAF-clK9Oo_KowIiwHaEK&pid=Apiforward

?????

Leaf spring geometry works that way. It's more noticeable on trucks, especially if they sit a little higher. 

Narrow wheels - or wheels tucked farther into wheel houses exacerbate the illusion. 

Angles of photography or short depths of field between the camera and subject affect it, too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Edited by restoman

14 hours ago, SuperDave said:

How did you modify it to sit lower? I have one in the works as well.

The rear, I shaved down the spring-to-chassis mount points, and the blocks between the springs and rear end. Nothing fancy.

The front was fast n' nasty: I just altered the wheel backs and used a plastic axle instead of steel, so the axle doesn't go under the engine block anymore.

This will likely never be out of it's display box, so none of the hackery will be visible... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Close to wrapping this up. Yay me!

I wanted the fresh air intake tubes for the small block 360, and was going to use Steven's trick to try and replicate them. Problem is, I didn't have any round tubing in the right size, and ordering some would put me two weeks out on finishing up... so, I used solder wrapped with some thin wire and CA glued in place. Not perfect, but good enough for this build. A coat of flat black completes the illusion.

Just the front bumper and some tail gate chains, and it's good to go in it's display case. 

Comments always welcome.

LRE 2.jpg

LRE 3.jpg