Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Steve McGee Black Beauty Wedge Dragster

Casey

Probably not a huge surprise after Round2 created all new body panels for the fictitious Snake  Mongoose Wedge dragster kit a few years ago, but, it's coming as AMT kit #1214:

AMT-1214

1/25 Steve McGee Black Beauty Wedge Dragster

AMT1214SteveMcGeeBlackBeauty.jpg.3c5be39c70934a738e482153b67de241.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.collectormodel.com/amt/3151-amts-flying-wedge-is-set-to-take-off-again/

After many, many months of research and design, we’re finally ready to release our beautiful Original Art Series issue of AMT’s Flying Wedge Rear Engine Dragster!

This was quite the endeavor as the entire body sections had to be retooled, so we took this opportunity to compare it against AMT’s other wedge dragster based on Steve McGee’s Black Beauty. While the two kits were similar, the original Flying Wedge kit’s body was lacking detail and the original McGee kit wasn’t quite accurate. So this time, we authentically duplicated the rear wedge section to match the real McGee car. The wedge section also features additional detailing like sheet metal rivets and in our research, we discovered that the rear lip of the wedge was adjustable by means of a piano hinge along the back. We’ve added that hinge detail, making the this kit the most accurate 1970’s style wedge dragster kit you can build.

https://www.collectormodel.com/amt/3470-don-prudhommes-radical-wedge-dragster-hits-the-track-from-amt/

When we retooled AMT’s Flying Wedge Dragster last year, we took the opportunity to tool an additional wedge body to match Prudhomme’s car. His had some variations like the vents on the cowling behind the engine, in addition that during the testing process of the real car, the exhaust openings were covered as the headers were re-routed to under the wedge itself.

I take the above to mean the forthcoming Steve McGee dragster kit will include the same four body panels included with the then-new 2016 reissue of the AMT Flying Wedge Dragster:

AMT927-Flying-Wedge.jpg.663d6f17ca5c75902c8256a17d332eae.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The wedge bodies came off as soon as it was figured out that the airfoil over the rear wheels accomplished the same purpose...downforce on the rear wheels.  The airfoil was cheaper, lighter, and didn't have to be taken off to get at the engine between rounds.

Has the Black Beauty actually been released? If it has, has anyone checked to see if the Slixx Kenny Goodell decals fit? 

I always loved the wedges.....I'm a sucker for aero dragsters such as Ivo's Video Liner, Garlits's SR30 and Ormsby's Castrol streaminer.

I was disappointed with the Prudhomme wedge but have seen a couple of builds that has me revising that opinion.

On 3/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, iBorg said:

Has the Black Beauty actually been released? If it has, has anyone checked to see if the Slixx Kenny Goodell decals fit? 

I always loved the wedges.....I'm a sucker for aero dragsters such as Ivo's Video Liner, Garlits's SR30 and Ormsby's Castrol streaminer.

I was disappointed with the Prudhomme wedge but have seen a couple of builds that has me revising that opinion.

Yes, they are available, but disappearing fast from the shelves and I think they have already been discontinued. 

20 hours ago, Casey said:

There are a few on eBay currently, for about $28 shipped to your door.

bbb0.jpg.9afa5f26f51378d6e7df47595c81e10a.jpg

bbb.jpg.53e96cd83db338aedc3c8bce0889f8e1.jpg

bbb2.jpg.3ef3aad00d9a8ce83210e0c11a88cebd.jpg

There are small but myriad differences between Round 2's Wedge dragster reissues, not to mention the additional differences between these reissues and the original early/mid 1970's AMT and MPC Wedge dragster kits.  (For those that are interested, all the grumbly details are spelled out in the chapter on rear engine dragsters in my recent drag racing kits book).  TIM 

• 4 weeks later...