Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix Aston Martin DBR9 GT Class Le Manns Racer 1:32 Scale

This kit is very simple, its intended on being a slot car racer. However - for an Airfix kit - it's moulded with excellent detail for it's scale. there is minimal interior detail, and not many parts. The main focus of this build will be the exterior

box art.JPG

I already had completed the Jaguar (this kit has a sister kit which is a Jag), and wanted to get this done before my lockdown fulough ends (this weekend!)

so it is going to be a simple build, with a focus on the exterior.

Most of the non-body work is complete

DIsk breaks with Alclad II steel, then hand painted Tamiya Acylics, and Tamiya Smoke wash

Dash is basic, no decals, all in tamiya X-18

Headlamps also in X-18 with molotow lamps with a drop of PVA for the lenses

interior tub in Alclad II Aluminium

Roll cage in Alclad Chrome over Zero Black - it should have been in Aluminium, but i wanted a slightly different colour in there.

wheels in Tamya Acrylic "rubber" colour, and Alclad II Dark Aluminium

Body is next

brake discs.jpg

Dash.jpg

Headlamps.jpg

Interior tub.jpg

Other bits too.jpg

Other bits.jpg

Roll cage.jpg

wheels.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 12:58 AM, Belugawrx said:

Nice start Atin !

I will follow this, I have the same kit waiting to be finished.

Cheers

Thanks Bruce,

the only 2 issues so far is the out-of-position steering column, and the heavy ejector pin marks in the interior tub.

More progress, interior and chassis are done, they are simple, but can hardly be seen when assembled.

the Wing has been painted in Zero Black , and coated with Zero 1k Clear - decals have started to be added

Chassis and interior complete 2.jpg

Chassis and interior complete.jpg

Wing Half done.jpg

23 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looks good! Love these Astons! Good work on the wing, is it metalic black? 

52 minutes ago, beeRS said:

This is a smart little kit, that I overlooked. Cool idea with the PVA headlamps. 

Thanks Anton and Sonny, the wing is painted zero 'gloss' black, with a coat of zero 1k clear.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, geordie said:

Atin,

Please check your personal messages … I sent you an article from the Airfix Magazine (2011) on building this kit.

Thanks David, that was really useful!

On 5/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dann Tier said:

This is looking BRILLIANT, Bud!!!!....i really need to get my hands on some of these!!

Cheers Dann, its a small scale, but they turn out quite good!

On 5/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dann Tier said:

GREAT attention to detail, Bud!!!

Thanks Dann, appreciate it!

body was sprayed with a few coats of Zero "gulf" blue, and then a few light coats of Zero 1K clear.

I've filled the panel lines with Enamel Blue mixed with black.

it looks OK, mostly due to the well moulded details of the shell. I am impressed with the Airfix quility here - esp. for the scale.

then after a light polish, i'm part way through applying decals.

Body11.jpg

Body21.jpg

Body 31.jpg

9 hours ago, geordie said:

I like it !!  Just out of curiosity, do the instructions give any clue what the line of three holes are for ... at the rear of each door opening ... rear brake ducts?

I believe they are night running lights part of the rules of endurance racing.

In some reference pics, they look like LEDs, in others, they are plugged with black  cover plates.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, geordie said:

Night running lights ... that would make sense ... thank you.

No Probs David

On 5/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Dann Tier said:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!, and the panel lines look spot on, Bud!!!!

Thanks Dann!

Decals on.

Man, that was a pain, a few of them were not great.

next stop clear coat

Decals complete.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Clearcoat on.

A bit of a disaster. I had reduced the thinner level to the recommended for Zero 2K, and it was really thick, struggled to come out of the AB, and for some reason I got far more dust than I expected.

My process is to vaccum the room thoroughly, then after an hour, go in and spray.

It is also a little rough.

it doesn't look too bad from a distance, i'm going to lightly sand and polish, then the body is done. Just the clear components need to be AB'ed for trim....

20200615_174618.jpg

14 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Looks great to me... and well done on beating the orange trim decals into submission. They do put up a fight, though, don’t they? ?

best,

M.

Thanks Matt, the orange decals put up a huge fight, and were a real struggle to take the form of the body, my pre-painting in some of the orange areas helped a little with coverage, but didn't help in terms of it being a completely different colour!

7 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Looking good!

thanks Alex, and I think I need to readjust the thinner content. On the RX-7 It was more or less 1 part thinner, 1 part hardener, 2 parts Gloss. For this kit, I reduced the thinner to (in the ratio described) to 0.5 parts thinner. The 2k Zero Paint mix is recommended 100ml gloss to 50ml hardener to between 15 & 30ml thinner... 

4 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Thanks Matt, the orange decals put up a huge fight, and were a real struggle to take the form of the body, my pre-painting in some of the orange areas helped a little with coverage, but didn't help in terms of it being a completely different colour!

thanks Alex, and I think I need to readjust the thinner content. On the RX-7 It was more or less 1 part thinner, 1 part hardener, 2 parts Gloss. For this kit, I reduced the thinner to (in the ratio described) to 0.5 parts thinner. The 2k Zero Paint mix is recommended 100ml gloss to 50ml hardener to between 15 & 30ml thinner... 

I usually do 3 parts clear, 1 part activator, and 10% thinners.

I just use the Zero recommendations... half a jar of gloss, 1/4 jar of hardener, about 10% thinner (I have a jar with some masking tape down the side with levels for each marked on it). In practice 10%-20% thinner doesn’t make that much difference. A little bit less hardener on a hot day to make sure the mix doesn’t start to go off before all the coats are applied...

best,

M.