Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Anyone Know What Color This Is?

And of course the scanned paint chip looks nothing  like the color on that car.  If Steve didn't mention the name I wouldn't have easily guessed that it was that dark-silver-looking color paint chip.  The paint chip looks more like pewter than green. :blink:

Edited by peteski

I'm not 100% sure the car in the first pic is '69 Frost Green. It's a restored or restomodded car, and it might be some kind of custom blend. To me, it looks a hair darker and a hair grayer. 

About 10 years ago there was a '69 Camaro running around in my town with its original Frost Green paint (and dark green vinyl top--pretty sharp combination!). I remember the color being just a little more "lime-y" or "avacado-ish" than the one in Steve G's pic. 

Here's some more pics of '69 Camaros in Frost Green. As you can see, there's a little bit of variation in how it looks in pics. Maybe the OP car is Frost Green after all. :unsure: (BTW, there were no original Frost Green Yenko Camaros.)

https://www.69pace.com/paint1969frostgreen.htm

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'm not 100% sure the car in the first pic is '69 Frost Green. It's a restored or restomodded car, and it might be some kind of custom blend. To me, it looks a hair darker and a hair grayer. 

About 10 years ago there was a '69 Camaro running around in my town with its original Frost Green paint (and dark green vinyl top--pretty sharp combination!). I remember the color being just a little more "lime-y" or "avacado-ish" than the one in Steve G's pic. 

Here's some more pics of '69 Camaros in Frost Green. As you can see, there's a little bit of variation in how it looks in pics. Maybe the OP car is Frost Green after all. :unsure: (BTW, there were no original Frost Green Yenko Camaros.)

I'm pretty sure it is Frost Green.

If you google "Frost Green" 1969 Chevy you get lots of pictures like this.

Not all look exactly the same, but most are very close.

14b6cb3f62194ae0266c0ee3117162a7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1969Chevelle.jpg

fl0112-121229_1.jpg?1327779528000

sc0511-106963_3@2x.jpg?1305903272000

Steve

Yeah. The Impala in those pics looks most like what I "remember" the color as being (although all those are pretty close). 

As I said, the OP car looks a hair darker and a hair grayer to me. And it's definitely not all-original (i.e., it's been repainted). But you're probably right, it's probably (though not certainly) Frost Green. 

Snake, sorry. I hadn't clicked on your link, which was my go to anyway. I cut paste so easier. And not enough coffee. Sorry for mistake ?

Better pics of that color, original paint cars, and diff exposures. I remembered it as sl darker and more green that the original photo. 

Snake reminded me with green vinyl top comment that I liked this color, not what was in original pic. 

1969frostgreenz.jpgb830_3.jpg1969frostgreenss350a.jpg

This color is nice.

Pickle and Whiz seem to be really popular now. I LIKE greens, browns, and golds, but if it looks like any bodily secretion, I'm out. :)

Edited by keyser
oops

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, I have to agree here, the first car looks more olive green than Frost Green or citrus green like the Model Master color.

21 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That would be 1969 Chevrolet "Frost Green".

gm_1969_chevrolet_ppg_c_01.jpg

460-2.jpg

Steve

I’ll be honest, not sure I’d trust that color chart, looks like it sat in the showroom window from the fall of ‘68 through about the fall of ‘69.

7 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Yeah, I have to agree here, the first car looks more olive green than Frost Green or citrus green like the Model Master color.

I’ll be honest, not sure I’d trust that color chart, looks like it sat in the showroom window from the fall of ‘68 through about the fall of ‘69.

True, but for the lack of any other green available in '69 that was close, I'm guessing that the OP's photo is "supposed" to be Frost Green.

I never expect that these chips are accurate representations of the color in question.

They should be used as nothing more than a reference as to what was available.

As has been mentioned often on this type of thread, if you google a particular car color, you're going to get 30 different representations.

The best that you can do to replicate a color is to use one of the "paint match" services, or an aftermarket model paint provider who will mix the paint from the factory formulas.

Even in that situation, if you get examples of this color from MCW and Scale Finishes, you will still very likely get 2 different shades of paint.

And even then, a lot of how the color turns out depends a great deal on how the paint is applied.

It's nearly impossible to ever get an exact match to a vintage color when nobody is even certain of what it was in the first place.

Steve

Agree. Paint matching with test panels was a bear. Now with hand held specs it’s incredibly easy. Such a time saver in 1:1’s. 

The  photos in Snakes link that I reposted are all a bit different due to exposure and light. Spectrometers obviate that. Sadly we can’t pop for one and find oem paint to match. Wish it were so. 

Paint is my nemesis because of 1:1 habits. MCW and Zero are helpful. Lucky to have them. Cobra colors was another, missed.