Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone heard of Solido?

stinkybritches

They used to be okayish.  I have a 59 Cadillac in 1/43 and have owned some 1/18s in the past.   Back then, maybe a little better than Ertls of the early 2000s.  Looking at the site now, looks like some fairly nice pieces.   Looks like they have upgraded to stay competitive.  The Shelby GT500 looks pretty good and no dog leg door hinges like Round2 is still using on their recycled models.  Nothing on there that I owned in the past and the models on their look pretty nice.  Wayne Moyer used to rate them pretty highly when reviewed.  Be sure to post photos if you get something...

I have a couple. In fact got that same GT 40 a couple weeks ago. ( posted in this section ). I think it's pretty nice but only doors open. The rear chrome vent was put on backwards on my copy ( someone here pointed that out ) but that was an ez fix.

10 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I have a couple. In fact got that same GT 40 a couple weeks ago. ( posted in this section ). I think it's pretty nice but only doors open. The rear chrome vent was put on backwards on my copy ( someone here pointed that out ) but that was an ez fix.

I remember your post. I probably should have searched before posting. After all my years on earth, this is my first 1st generation Ford GT purchase that wasn't Hot Wheels. I have plenty of the latest generation diecast/plastic kits.  

24 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I remember your post. I probably should have searched before posting. After all my years on earth, this is my first 1st generation Ford GT purchase that wasn't Hot Wheels. I have plenty of the latest generation diecast/plastic kits.  

Have you seen the GT 40 from Exoto?

https://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductList.aspx?Language=&AttributeType=Category&AttributeId=490

The prices are beyond my budget but the details look very nice.

I managed to buy a Shelby Cobra 289 from Exoto from a German dealer for a good price (not even close to Solidos price range though).

2 hours ago, Pace said:

Have you seen the GT 40 from Exoto?

https://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductList.aspx?Language=&AttributeType=Category&AttributeId=490

The prices are beyond my budget but the details look very nice.

I managed to buy a Shelby Cobra 289 from Exoto from a German dealer for a good price (not even close to Solidos price range though).

Woah, way out of my price range.

11 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

Woah, way out of my price range.

Those Exoto 1/18 prices are nuts.  I do not have a lot of them but I think the most I paid was $200.  The 1/12 ones are usually "only" about $600.

I just took delivery of an example of their Meyers Manx dune buggy in 1:18th.  Maybe slightly less in quality versus something like a Norev, although far from hateful.  Some finish choices and slightly underwhelming plastic 'glass' detract from an impression of quality, but at the price point these are good.   All I remember of Solido from days of old was their extensive 1:43 diecast range and far less common and very French 1:18th scale efforts, typically of middling quality.  It seems the new efforts simply share the name of what came before.  

Certainly the company seems to be coming on in relation to affording a fairly wide range of interesting topics and/or models that haven't been available for some time from other companies and that have commanded a price premium for long.  In particular, if one has an interest in early BMW M3's and isn't willing to spend $100 plus to secure a sealed Ottomobile rendition or more still for past iterations by UT, Minichamps or AutoART, there isn't anything strictly comparable.  

Interesting to note that these aren't produced in China, but rather are offshored to new production facilities in Bangladesh.  I imagine George Harrison would approve...

Mike K./Swede70

I used to build batches of the Solido 1/43rd hybrid kits wirh die cast bodies and plastic innards for Modeltime Wholesale the UK distributors back in the 80's. Fairly simple kits but they did have nice Cartograf decals in each kit giving three options in each.

Used to be French manufactured I think, back in the day,