Model Cars Magazine Forum

Danbury Mint 1953 GMC pickup

randyc

Just finished this one.  I still have a high disdain for black models.  But, this one is a limited edition, 572 of 5000, so I'll hold on to it.  My buddy Todd found it at a consignment store for $8 I think he said.  He gave it to me for the repairs I did for him.  It was sad.  Missing the front bumper, terribly dirty.  Missing the mirrors and taillight, bent antenna, scuffs and marks.  I was going to use some other kit bumper, but that 53 Chevy showed up other week for cheap.  So I still only have like $20 in this one. 

I wish I would have taken more time painting the gravel pan behind the bumper now that it turned out nice than I thought it would.  It took quite a bit of cleaning. 

I'll keep it in a case to preserve the shine since it's black.  Have no idea where to display it though.  That will be the next thing.  

IMG_20200620_112701852_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200620_112709542_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200620_111401967.jpg

IMG_20200620_111441283.jpg

IMG_20200620_112629434.jpg

IMG_20200620_112647755_HDR.jpg

There used to be one of this body style Chevy at my grandfather's farm when I was young, so the body style holds a little appeal to me.   Even though the one in my memory was dusty and rusty.   And only ran occasionally.  THanks for the compliment.  I wonder if they were as shiny as these even on day one.

Yes the hood side photoetch emblems do say HydraMatic.

The Chevy parts truck I have has a floor shift.  The GMC has column shift.  But I didn't look too closely at either one of the transmissions.  The GMC has wired engine, fuel lines, etc.   The Chevy seems old school.  No wires or extra details.   THe GMC does have several extra details for the LE.  

Edited by randyc

Did some research on Hydramatics (Hydra-Matic) and found they were introduced in 1952 but in 1953 the plant burned down and production of the Hydramatics did not resume till later that year.  The Hydramatic makes for an interesting nuance for the GMC.  I am tempted now as a friend is restoring a 1:1 Chevy 3100 5 window.

OK,  let me know if you need parts for the Chevy if you go forward.  Or if you want the heap I have.  Interesting that the Chevy model has a floor shift instead of column.   That would make me think 4 speed instead of 3.  Threes speed manuals were generally a column shift, right?  I admit that I really don't know other than to assume.  

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, gray07 said:

u did a great job, sitting in my driveway I have a 1953 gmc panel truck that I wish I could find a diecast or model of.

Hmmmm that might be an interesting project.   Maybe some of our guys here might know of the body castings out there that might work.   Might end up being an expensive project though.   But would be killer to have a scale match to your real one.  There are a couple Suburbans and panel bodies out there, but I have no idea if they would match the real body.