Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy 3100

21 hours ago, Jim B said:

Well done.  AMT did a snap 1950 pickup?

Thanks Jim.

They did. Released 2 times that I know of. Don't worry, I didn't know until last year either.

Capture.PNG.546d0dfe6cf38fe012aeb4f2f3e22aa8.PNGCapture2.PNG.7c7f7e9c8c50cb65db1dd849e3222edf.PNG

I'd be ok with them releasing it again. It really builds up nicely.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, KWT said:

Continuing the small town green weathered Chevy truck theme, number 2... This is the AMT snap kit of the 3100

image000000(9).jpg.f7c839d77d4343745874a761375b2dc7.jpg

image000001(9).jpg.f37bc6e42f95919c4631eccbdb46f6eb.jpg

image000002(9).jpg.f983b4e8030fcc7b8f1c3a718547519e.jpg

image000003(6).jpg.a3981ba65cc6a7243c616209137b3832.jpg

As always, thanks for looking... on to the next...

This looks like the truck your '66 replaced. Great looking finish. 

Thank ya much!

On 7/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, Tom Geiger said:

It’s interesting to put the snap kit next to the full detail glue kit.. glue kit came first and you can see what was copied into the snapper.. there are details, like tail lights, that are better done in the snap kit!

I agree. I've decided, I like using the snap kit (which is getting high and harder to come by) for the "stock" appearance. I like using the glue kit for manipulating like lowering... and curbside. I cannot get everything to fit like it's supposed to.

4 hours ago, KWT said:

Thank ya much!

I agree. I've decided, I like using the snap kit (which is getting high and harder to come by) for the "stock" appearance. I like using the glue kit for manipulating like lowering... and curbside. I cannot get everything to fit like it's supposed to.

Agreed!  There is something in the front assembly of the glue kit that keeps it from sitting right on the chassis. 

The bed is one piece on the snap kit, but the box on the glue kit fits together very well and nearly snaps together.

But if you attempt to glue the assemblies to the chassis nothing lines up!  The running boards on a 1:1 truck sit tight against the bottom of the cab body. There is a huge gap on both versions of the kit!

Since I built the glue kit first, I moved the running board mounts to make it fit flush. Then the bed was off where it keys into the running boards. So I adjusted it’s height on the chassis with shims and pins until it all lined up.  In the end my truck sits fairly high.

On the two snap kits I gave away, I just left the running board gap as the kit assembles. 

• 5 weeks later...