Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT surfer Van

Mr mopar

On 9/16/2020 at 4:57 PM, David Miller said:

I’d buy that over any coke car that’s been put out . Now if only Round 2 can get Coke and Levi’s together to make the DenimMachine that would be something . I’ve only seen one in person , and even seen two Levi’s Edition AMC Gremlins ( that’s another one to kit ) . Or the Firestone SuperStones Van ! 

C70C1802-3B33-444A-95C5-417D790E13FB.jpeg

58B7A67B-DA4F-48A1-AFDB-5597ADF3ECC5.jpeg

I actually got to drive one of those in 1982. Things like the TV and the stereo were gone but the body still looked great.

53 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That would be called the Dono-Van!! :rolleyes:

HA ! It's the Sunrunner 1978 annual [ MPC Econoline Van ] . I couldn't recall its nomenclature back on 19/09/2020...

That kit also has the sliding door as a separate piece . Its only "downside" is that the 'teardrop' window is cast-open , necessitating its inclusion or plugged via sheet styrene .

6 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I actually got to drive one of those in 1982. Things like the TV and the stereo were gone but the body still looked great.

WE need someone who makes decals to do the Firestone Van ,Ray's model kit does the Denim Machine decals .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, Daddyfink said:

While I really do love the AMT Vans, the MPC ones where way ahead in the detail department. Full interiors and more outside accessories, plus the 4X4 version of the Ford van where awesome. 

In my opinion, the MPC Vans where #1, then AMT Vans and then dead last, Revell Vans. Monogram are honorable mention because of them being 1/24 and decently shaped. 

I have an MPC "Stunt Van". I don't recall it having anything other than the roll bars inside. Maybe only the 2wd versions got the full interior? Hafta agree with you on the MPC vs AMT vans.   

On 1/27/2021 at 11:18 AM, Plowboy said:

I have an MPC "Stunt Van". I don't recall it having anything other than the roll bars inside. Maybe only the 2wd versions got the full interior? Hafta agree with you on the MPC vs AMT vans.   

Yeah, that one is a bit sparse, but the Dodge Vans where a treasure trove of goodies in the early days! And you are correct, the 2WD Ford Vans also had more interior items in them. 

MPC 1974 - 77 Dodge Van Releases? - Truck Kit News & Reviews - Model Cars  Magazine Forum

Vintage 1974 Dodge Van MPC 1/25 Scale Model Kit Vanana Peeler | Etsy

Edited by Daddyfink

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, slusher said:

The parts guys will be selling the parts if any one wants just the boards .

No question they will be on eBay soon, like they were when the AMT '65 Chevelle Surf Wagon kit was released, and got parted out by various sellers. Therein lies the rub, however, as when you meet the seller's asking price for the boards alone, then factor in the shipping cost, you may well be three-quarters of the way to buying your own complete kit. This is how eBay selling begins. 😁

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

No question they will be on eBay soon, like they were when the AMT '65 Chevelle Surf Wagon kit was released, and got parted out by various sellers. Therein lies the rub, however, as when you meet the seller's asking price for the boards alone, then factor in the shipping cost, you may well be three-quarters of the way to buying your own complete kit. This is how eBay selling begins. 😁

just have to shop.  I got the surfboards and rack for a few bucks plus shipping.  I believe maybe $6 all in.  

Edited by JJ Deuce

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I've perused and then purchased entire kits for this reason alone . Sometimes , random pieces / assemblies are reasonably priced (especially out-of-production items) enough to justify purchasing them on their own .  Definitely makes no sense to buy , say , the surfboards for $15.00 , when the entire kit is going for $21.00 ... and shipping is free or reasonable .

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Yup.

I needed the recoilless cannon from the Godzilla Jeep kit for a future kit review. Best price online from parts scalpers shipped was $15 for just that parts tree.

You can grab the entire kit at Hobby Lobby for $18. 

And it's a fun Jeep kit to have, loved my build up of it previously for the channel. 

8 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Yup.

I needed the recoilless cannon from the Godzilla Jeep kit for a future kit review. Best price online from parts scalpers shipped was $15 for just that parts tree.

You can grab the entire kit at Hobby Lobby for $18. 

And it's a fun Jeep kit to have, loved my build up of it previously for the channel. 

Chris, I liked your build on the Surfer Van!  Like your tips too..