Model Cars Magazine Forum

2004 C5 Corvette Commemorative Edition

Jim Whalen

Hi everyone,

I've been spending time on this forum but it has been ages since I posted any of my completed models.  Here is a 2004 C5 Corvette Commemorative Edition I just finished today (Revell kit, built out of the box).  It goes nicely with the C5R I built earlier this year.

I hope everyone's model building projects are going well and that they have a great weekend.

Cheers, Jim

C5 Commemorative Edition PIc 1.JPG

C5 Commemorative Edition Pic2.JPG

C5 Commemorative Edition PIc3.JPG

17 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Very nice, Jim... it looks strangely familiar! Very nice build of what I thought was a very nice kit...

best,

M.

Thanks Matt.  I think the chassis pan on my kit was a bit warped, had to cut two slits in each side to give it some flexibility to get both ends to meet the interior/engine compartment assembly.

Great looking 'Vettes of a kind of meh generation. Build up those different gens.  I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for all them.  I personally owned  1:1 '72 454 Convertable, '73 Hardtop, '79 L-82 Hardtop, '86 Z-51 Hardtop, and  '93 Hardtop.  All were bought used and not in that order. Will always regret selling the '72 as it was a kinda rare 454, 4-speed, Air Conditioned Convertable.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Great looking 'Vettes of a kind of meh generation. Build up those different gens.  I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for all them.  I personally owned  1:1 '72 454 Convertable, '73 Hardtop, '79 L-82 Hardtop, '86 Z-51 Hardtop, and  '93 Hardtop.  All were bought used and not in that order. Will always regret selling the '72 as it was a kinda rare 454, 4-speed, Air Conditioned Convertable.

Thanks Mike.  Sounds like you had some cool Corvettes.  It would be fun to have a go in the '72.  I haven't decided which generation to build next.  I have a '63 AMT split-window coupe that is nearing the assembly phase so it would make sense to finish that one off before starting something new.

Yeah, the Corvette obsession in my younger years cost me a  lot and trust me, I spent a lot on finance charges to do so LOL!! Split window best of that generation. Look forward to seeing that one.

I've done the old Monogram '53 and the Revell '67 and '68 Roadsters. Want to do the split window too.

15 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Yeah, the Corvette obsession in my younger years cost me a  lot and trust me, I spent a lot on finance charges to do so LOL!! Split window best of that generation. Look forward to seeing that one.

I've done the old Monogram '53 and the Revell '67 and '68 Roadsters. Want to do the split window too.

Yes, cars as a hobby get really expensive.  I had a '34 Ford street rod that just drank money.  It was great to have something unique and I enjoyed having it for seven years but the money that was tied up in it was used for replacing my driving school car.  This really cut down my business overheads so it was much better use of money.

I've got the Revell '67 as a convertible (and a coupe as well), what did you think of it as a kit?  I'm kit-bashing my AMT 63' spit window so it has more detail, I'll post it on here when it is finished.

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Great to the race car and road car side by side in similar liveries. Both well done.

Thanks Phil, I had the race car partly built and had a C5 in the stash but when I saw a Commemorative Edition kit at a model show it was quickly bought as I thought they would make a nice pair in my Corvette collection, especially since they both are marking achievements in the Corvette's history.

4 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Looks good!!

3 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Looks great! I have been on the fence about finding one of these kits to build but I think I may have to now, lol.  What paint did you use for the body color?  Its close enough to be LeMans Blue even though it looks a little lighter.

Thanks guys!

Scott, I used Zero Paints Xenon Blue (ZP-1139) which is their colour for the C5R that raced in blue to mark 50 years of the Corvette and to celebrate the victories they had at Le Mans.  Looking at pictures of the race car and the road car together it appears that the road car is slightly lighter in colour so I used a few less coats on the Commemorative Edition road car.  They have been photographed under flash units (as I write for a magazine) and look quite bright on a computer screen, it is a little darker in reality and looks right.  If Zero paints are difficult for you to get I'm sure Model Car World Finishes could get an accurate shade for you (mcwfinishes.com) I think the paint code for the car is WA-993L - Le Mans Blue Metallic.  Revell have done a few versions of the C5 Corvette, both coupes and convertibles, if you like this generation of the Corvette I'd definitely recommend one as they are all essentially the same kit.

Edited by Jim Whalen

14 minutes ago, e30lover said:

Very clean! I'd love  to know the color you used as well.

Hi Chang, I've put details about the paint I used in the reply to Scott just now.  I used Stynylez White Primer, Zero Xenon Blue and Zero 2-pack Diamond Gloss Clearcoat.  A set of polishing cloths, Novus 2, wax and Novus 1 finished the paintwork.

27 minutes ago, Jim Whalen said:

Thanks guys!

Scott, I used Zero Paints Xenon Blue (ZP-1139) which is their colour for the C5R that raced in blue to mark 50 years of the Corvette and to celebrate the victories they had at Le Mans.  Looking at pictures of the race car and the road car together it appears that the road car is slightly lighter in colour so I used a few less coats on the Commemorative Edition road car.  They have been photographed under flash units (as I write for a magazine) and look quite bright on a computer screen, it is a little darker in reality and looks right.  If Zero paints are difficult for you to get I'm sure Model Car World Finishes could get an accurate shade for you (mcwfinishes.com) I think the paint code for the car is WA-993L - Le Mans Blue Metallic.  Revell have done a few versions of the C5 Corvette, both coupes and convertibles, if you like this generation of the Corvette I'd definitely recommend one as they are all essentially the same kit.

Looks great though.  The lighting may be playing tricks on me as I am used to seeing this color outside on 1:1s in the sunlight 

7 minutes ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Looks great though.  The lighting may be playing tricks on me as I am used to seeing this color outside on 1:1s in the sunlight 

Here’s a picture of it that I took with my IPhone when the kit was being assembled on my workbench.  How something is photographed really affects colour as factors such as lighting, the camera used, depth of field, exposure time, etc. all affect it.

8D37DE60-EB21-4451-B616-B6D4806505D7.jpeg