Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Porsche 959

Scalper

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Wayyyyyyyt a minute here!!  You actually spray painted in 2 degree weather?? I sure didn't think that was possible?.  I'm assuming rattle can right?

I wonder if those temperatures are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit?  Either way, it is cold!  But I guess that if the air is clean and dry, spray-painting is ok. But drying would be a problem (take a long time). Bette rbring those bodies back into room temperature surroundings.

12 hours ago, peteski said:

I wonder if those temperatures are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit?  Either way, it is cold!  But I guess that if the air is clean and dry, spray-painting is ok. But drying would be a problem (take a long time). Bette rbring those bodies back into room temperature surroundings.

Yep Peter, all true, and yes if celcius it's still 36 degrees farenheit (for us USA guys out there).  Still wouldn't have thought the paint would stick too well.

9 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep Peter, all true, and yes if celcius it's still 36 degrees farenheit (for us USA guys out there).  Still wouldn't have thought the paint would stick too well.

Stick too well?  Paint is liquid which doesn't freeze at water freezing temperatures (unless it is a water-based paint). Liquid paint lands on a solid surface of the model.  It "sticks" or adheres to it, regardless of the temperature.  To me the drying (solvent evaporation in low temperature) woudl be a bit of a problem.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:52 PM, peteski said:

But drying would be a problem (take a long time). Bette rbring those bodies back into room temperature surroundings.

When I was young and without the benefit of a decent place to build, my building and painting was done in the garage. I would would work and paint at temps as low as -10 c. I can say with certainty that taking the freshly painted model into the warmth is the worst thing you can do. Condensation can mess up your paint bad. 

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

When I was young and without the benefit of a decent place to build, my building and painting was done in the garage. I would would work and paint at temps as low as -10 c. I can say with certainty that taking the freshly painted model into the warmth is the worst thing you can do. Condensation can mess up your paint bad. 

Good point Trevor - I didn't think about it.  But I"m sure that the paint does dry much slower in -10 deg. C temperature.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...