Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Polished" Stainless Steel Finish

I recently purchased a set of Deluxe Wheel Covers ( 3-D printed masterpieces from Shapeways , from @camaro69 1971 Plymouth Hubcaps (UNPLAS5SQ) by camaro69 (shapeways.com) )    for my 1973 Duster project  , and am now attempting to provide them with their correct finish ( the 1:1 parts are stamped stainless steel with a 'polished' finish ) .

The aerosol can of 'Stainless Steel' I'd purchased dried to a dull finish ( base / primer coat of Tamiya Light Grey Primer , aerosol ) . After letting them dry , I'd figured How about a silver Sharpie top coat ? Looked better , but... Even after applying Tamiya Black Panel Line Accent to the character lines of the wheel covers ( side note : the depth and precision of the parts from Rico are 100% flawless ) , the parts still lacked depth to them -- no sheen what-so-ever . 

Does anyone make a Metalizer-type stainless steel paint ? Naturally , I'd expect to buff / polish the finish --- I just need some suggestions .

Thanks Much !

Edited by 1972coronet

Testors had their line of metalizers, both in spray can, and bottle. I bought up as many as I could fine prior to most of the stores/shops around here selling them out, but you should still be able to land some online for a little while longer. (Testors line discontinued of course, with no word on these paints appearing in any other lines)

You spray it on, and buff it out. GREAT stuff. There are others as well, but these do what you are asking with ease.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Model-Master-1402-Stainless-Steel-Buffing-Metalizer-Lacquer-1-2-fl-oz/373309274058?epid=1104832889&hash=item56eaf777ca:g:x6EAAOSw3olfqxki

Alclad also has a version, but it does not polish out.

3D items printed by Shapeways are not smooth. They have very small striations (printing artifact) and rough surface.  In order to make the surface look like smooth polished steel, the surface needs to be perfectly smooth and shiny.  If you ever used Alclad II Chrome paint (which has to have the base surface smooth and glossy, usually by giving is a coat of gloss black), you understand what needs to be done for the polished  steel look.  Actually Alclad makes Polished Stainless Steel paint, and if you use the same the technique that you use for Chrome paint, you will get that polished steel look.

7 hours ago, peteski said:

3D items printed by Shapeways are not smooth. They have very small striations (printing artifact) and rough surface.

I can see the striations ( an artifact of the process , as you've mentioned) , but I don't really feel them . Even with my first attempt at decorating them ( Tamiya Light Grey Primer ; Rustoleum 'Stainless Steel' ; Tamiya Black Panel Line Accent ) , no recognisable plies revealed themselves ( i.e. , I didn't see the panel line mixture 'stop' nor 'puddle' at any 'intruding' striations ) . Perhaps the primer-then-paint provided a smooth surface ? 

Thank you for your advice and recommendations . I'll post some photos of the items as they are now (e.g. , before I put 'em in the Purple Pond' for stripping . I've got those two bottles of the Testors Metalizer on the way... ) .

I'm glad I could provide advise.  Maybe Shapeways now uses different printers and resin than then did few years ago (last time I bought some items there). Back then the highest detail material was FUD and FXD (but I know that they changed the names, but maybe also have better printers too).  Sounds like a layer of primer fills the striations smooth.

As far as the paints go, I think you would get more of a polished look using Alclad II Polished Stainless steel over gloss black or gray, than using Testors Metalizer.  I would recommend a spoon test if you happened to have both types of paint.  That saves from stripping the "good parts".

Edited by peteski

Hi John!

The blower scoop on this 36 was shot with a Krylon spray-can finish, that gave a sheen that is less bright than regular chrome, but lighter in hue than the usual Alclad on a black enamel base. So is the counter top on the food truck. 

Speakin of Alclad, I tried it on a white enamel base, and it then mimicks more  polished aluminium than the darker chrome on black enamel. (see Duster scoop below)

For what it's worth, just my two cents...

CT  

DSC00574 (2).JPG

DSC00704 (2).JPG

DSCF3732 (2).JPG