Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about 1/8th scale T-Buckets, Monogram vs. Lindberg

As I stray into the world of large scale car kits, I ran into Scalemates listing for the Lindberg and Monogram 1/8th scale kits. While it shows that their paths converge at one point, I don't know if that is true, is it? Was there ever any connection between the two 1/8th scale kits?

I also see that the Lindberg is based off of a steel bodied 1915 Model T, while the Monogram seems to be based on a fiberglass 1923 body. The frames also are different as well and the front suspension. 

Also, if you know of any source of aftermarket part, mostly wheels and tires, please list them. I am thinking about building a couple more of these as they are available and cheap right now. 

Scalematesss listing: https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=222145&p=timeline

Just fwiw, I've never built a Monogram model with seriously bad fitting parts. I built the Monogram original release of the Big T back in 1963, I was 13yo and I don't recall any issues getting it together, nor the Big Deuce a couple of years later. But given a choice of just one to build today and as much as I like the stance on the Big T, I'd save the extra money up for the Deuce personally, just would love to see a Firedome hemi available to put in it.

Lindberg to me is not in the same class, ever. But that could just be my impression. I've never built the Lindberg T but I prefer the Monogram anyway.

Then lately there is the issue we've seen here of gray chrome parts trees in the Lindberg, that is to say they didn't get plated.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

As I stray into the world of large scale car kits, I ran into Scalemates listing for the Lindberg and Monogram 1/8th scale kits. While it shows that their paths converge at one point, I don't know if that is true, is it? Was there ever any connection between the two 1/8th scale kits?

No, there was never any connection between the two kits. Not sure who, if anyone, checks and verifies the accuracy of scalemates info, but it's always best to verify yourself, like you're doing here. Lindberg and Monogram have always been separate companies and/or brands.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Lindberg to me is not in the same class, ever. But that could just be my impression. I've never built the Lindberg T but I prefer the Monogram anyway.

The majority Lindberg kits are lesser quality kits, compared to other companies from the same time period(s). The Monogram " Big" series kits were nothing more than upscaled 1/24 scale kits, but they were well-designed, and have been the standard for comparison since their introduction. While not perfect, they have held up very well.

Large scale Lindberg kits, well, lets just say many corners were cut and accuracy and scale fidelity were not their strong points.  The tires are a bit undersized in my experience, too. Monogram 1/8 scale Big-series kits trump any Lindberg 1/8 kits all day, every day, so save up if you must, but I think you're be more satisfied with the Monogram kits in the end.

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am thinking about building a couple more of these as they are available and cheap right now. 

There's a reason the reissued 1/8 Lindberg Big Red Rod is available is such great numbers and for so little money.

The Monogram kits are great. Reasonably accurate, well-proportioned, build beautiful models with some applied skill.

The Lindberg kits I see as primarily parts-sources for other builds. The engines are kinda Y-block Fords. Many of the details are just flat wonky, and the proportions are ungainly and ugly. BUT...with some serious hack-n-wack you can build something cool from them if you know what you're doing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My dad built an original Big T somewhere in the 1963-65 time period, and it was always on display when I was a kid. It became a bit worse for wear. Mom would try to dust it and break parts off. Dad smoked until 1971, Mom smoked until 1979, so the white parts weren't so pristine. The chrome was pretty much gone. Sadly, I did not save it or his Monogram Duesenberg.

I have never seen one of the Lindberg kits, but when the reports started coming in that there was no chrome, I immediately thought of a period "rat rod" kind of thing that some young guy in SoCal would have built and driven, maybe hoping to take it to the dry lakes. Weathered body, etc. No money for chrome axles or backing plates. Just rattlecanned or brush-painted junkyard parts. 

You also can build a really nice low chrome rod too. Nice filler work, nice paint, Molotow spray with an airbrush relevant chrome or polished aluminum as the case may be for just a few items. A deliberately low chrome rod but nice, never was a fan of a bunch of chome anyway, except the 50's factory cars.. To that theory comes opposing kickers. Kicker #1. I'd still prefer the Monogram. Kicker #2. The Lindberg sells cheaper.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I have never seen one of the Lindberg kits, but when the reports started coming in that there was no chrome, I immediately thought of a period "rat rod" kind of thing that some young guy in SoCal would have built and driven, maybe hoping to take it to the dry lakes. Weathered body, etc. No money for chrome axles or backing plates. Just rattlecanned or brush-painted junkyard parts. 

This is my basic plan for the Big Red Rod. I ant it to look like a Rod that a young guy in the 60's could have had. Mot parts painted, not much chrome, I may even build it a little rat rod style. The radiator shell needs to be brass anyway. Many of the parts that would be chrome, I would need to strip anyway, so this makes it easy.

Right now I can get the Lindberg Big Red Rod for $60 free shipping. Any Monogram Rod will be $200+ shipping. I can work with the Lindberg for that money. 

You can get the Monogram kit for less - just takes a little time and watching sites like, well, eBay. I picked one up open, sealed inside for less than $200. But, yeah, the Lindberg kit is easy to pick up under $100. 
For some great after market parts - 3D scale parts has some really nice wheels and a few engine parts - blower, headers for the Chevy engine. 
https://www.3dscaleparts.com

His eBay store says he’s is off until Jan 5 or so, so orders and communication may be delayed. 

I have the Monogram Golden T, the Revell Big Tub, and the Lindberg Tall T as well as their Bobtail T. 

Both of the Lindberg models share many parts. The engine is their strong point, it is a very accurate rendition of a Thunderbird 312 with six stromberg 97s.  I started with the Lindberg as a learning curve.  I figured I really couldn't mess it up. I learned a few ways how NOT to do stuff. I also removed a lot of the chrome.  Here is mine.

I am going to work my way into the other 1/8, but would not be afraid to build another one of these.