Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox and Martin Cuda

lordgodbob

I bought this kit on a whim because one of the local hobby stores was closing. I have never built a Pro Stocker from this era before now, everything is 80's and newer, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Turns out it was a nice kit, very well detailed, and I had a good time doing it. I botched the hood when I applied the clear (I'll start fixing that when I stop being irritated that it happened!) but the rest of it is in great shape. All that's left is final polish and wax, the metal trim, and final assembly. Very cool car, the kit captures it well, and I'm glad I picked it up.

IMG_3387[1].JPG

IMG_3386[1].JPG

IMG_E3385[1].JPG

• Like 1

Tim, your S & M 'Cuda build looks great as I've built on myself a long time ago. Seems like we've both made the same mistake on ours as that car's engine should be painted FORD Engine Blue as the S &M mechanic Jake King always painted his engines that color. Guess we live and learn.

Hi Tim, compliments.  I do feel your painting skills should be mentioned and appreciated.  The body showing 3 colors appears to have a flawless separation...I can't do that, not even after trying many times!  Also, the parts separation of the frontend suspension is just magnificent, appears as if the parts are single, and individually bolted. Excellent!

Can you offer some insight to which colors you applied there?  Colors/brand for the leaf springs?

Mike..

6 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Hi Tim, compliments.  I do feel your painting skills should be mentioned and appreciated.  The body showing 3 colors appears to have a flawless separation...I can't do that, not even after trying many times!  Also, the parts separation of the frontend suspension is just magnificent, appears as if the parts are single, and individually bolted. Excellent!

Can you offer some insight to which colors you applied there?  Colors/brand for the leaf springs?

Mike..

Thank you so much for the kind words! I used MCW paint on this one. I wanted to be sure the blue and the red were correct. The base white is just rattle can white. I use 1/4" 3M tape for most of my lines of separation and start with VERY light coats of paint on the edge of the tape to help seal the edge before I get a little heavier with the coats. I use all kinds of different paint on the suspension, I believe the leaf springs were metalizer titanium, which I then coated with a wash of floor wax/black paint to weather it a bit. it really brings out the details. I try to spray or airbrush as much as possible, and avoid using a brush if I can, other than very small details.I also use sharpies (black and silver) for bolt heads, etc.

Hope that helps!

7 hours ago, lordgodbob said:

Yeah, I understand that there are authenticity issues with the underside, I didn't do enough research on that...I'm more bothered by the engine color, but I'm not blowing it up to make that change! 

No you don't have to do that, I built the Jo-Han 1971 Sox & Martin 'Cuda years ago without much references, it's one of my best models so far, both the engine and underside is the wrong color on mine too...so it doesn't really matter and you can do it right on the next one...I for sure will when I build my nex one and I have a lot more references now.

True, it seems like the Revell 70 version is harder to find than the Jo-Han 71 version and the ones I found right now were more expensive at 60-100 dollars, the Jo-Han kit was mostly at 40-80 dollars and a couple at near 100.
If you know what to look for the Jo-Han version is not that hard to find as both Jo-Han and Testors issued the kit without the Sox & Martin decals and they are quite plentiful on the market.

As for engine colors, Jake King painted all the engines he built for Ronnie and Buddy Ford Engine Blue as a trademark, Jake built most of the engines but not all as they had another mechanic called Dave Christie, so some engines might as well have been Hemi Orange.

15 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

To your point, I'd venture that you can probably find a Johan one cheaper, hard as that might be to believe!

Yup, I have the Johan Sox & Martin and it was quite cheaper but that was also about 2 years ago when I picked it up.