Model Cars Magazine Forum

'27 T Traditional Hot Rod

SpeedShift

While waiting out the painting on other projects I'm pulling out some old projects and picking them back up.

I've always like the look of the 27 T. 

Not many kits of the 27, but I found a resin body years ago and started collecting some aftermarket parts and raiding some kits in the stash to do a hot rod in the traditional fifties style.

Will have a flathead Ford engine, some vintage speed equipment, hair pin nerf bars, classic white wall big and littles with baby moons on steelie wheels .

Started with a Z treatment on a model A frame , with banjo rear differential. Grafted on a rear cross member and rear leaf spring from a AMT 29 roadster.

P3180334 (2).JPG

P3180333.JPG

AFTERMARKET PARTS.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
spellcheck
  • Like 1

Jim....last night I just finished a somewhat similar project....an early 1960's style '27T bucket roadster.  My biggest challenge was also creating an interior; I see come commonality in our approaches to it, too.    

Looks like you are off to a great start.  Good luck and I'll be checking back to see ongoing progress!  Cheers....TIM 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Jim....last night I just finished a somewhat similar project....an early 1960's style '27T bucket roadster.  My biggest challenge was also creating an interior; I see come commonality in our approaches to it, too.    

Looks like you are off to a great start.  Good luck and I'll be checking back to see ongoing progress!  Cheers....TIM 

Thanks Tim, been reading your articles for years and it's nice to make your acquaintance.

Like to see your project.

I'm dechroming the front and rear axles this evening to go Alclad II....to match the finish on the other shiny goodies (flathead valve covers etc.).

Been perusing fifties resources and  will settle on a color combo...kinda like the idea of complementary color between the body/grill and the wheels.

Interior will be a pearl white (kinda naugahyde) with black pleated inserts ....black flocking on the floor carpet.

Edited by SpeedShift

4 minutes ago, SpeedShift said:

Thanks Tim, been reading your articles for years and it's nice to make your acquaintance.

Like to see your project.

I'm dechroming the front and rear axles this evening to go Alclad II....to match the finish on the other shiny goodies (flathead valve covers etc.).

Been perusing fifties resources and  will settle on a color combo...kinda like the idea of complementary color between the body/grill and the wheels.

Interior will be a pearl white (kinda naugahyde) with black pleated inserts ....black flocking on the floor carpet.

Jim....per  your request, here was the initial post on my '27T-Bucket... The latest on my bench....'27 Model T Roadster Body Conversion - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Soo many choices on color schemes....will be fascinating to see what you come up with.   Best....TIM

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Jim....per  your request, here was the initial post on my '27T-Bucket... The latest on my bench....'27 Model T Roadster Body Conversion - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Soo many choices on color schemes....will be fascinating to see what you come up with.   Best....TIM

Really nice, classic hot rod PU. 

BTW - On the blue resin-based '27T Roadster Pickup Project (completed in the 2000's) do you recall the source of those exhaust headers...I like the look.

I'm searching for headers - plugged,  with dual exhaust train w/ mufflers for street.

2 hours ago, SpeedShift said:

Really nice, classic hot rod PU. 

BTW - On the blue resin-based '27T Roadster Pickup Project (completed in the 2000's) do you recall the source of those exhaust headers...I like the look.

I'm searching for headers - plugged,  with dual exhaust train w/ mufflers for street.

Thx Jim.  Those headers on the blue pickup I believe were from Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  As far as I know, they are still in his catalog of offerings.....TIM 

14 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thx Jim.  Those headers on the blue pickup I believe were from Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  As far as I know, they are still in his catalog of offerings.....TIM 

Thanks Tim. Norm is preparing an order for me...need more flathead parts !

I'll check with him.

I've been debating the color scheme for this '27 T  in my head ...what I was sure of...I wanted a dark body/grill color with complementary (opposite) color on the wheels/engine 

Black is a bit too often used, I like red too, but that is a bit common as well.
Been reading Al Drakes book on fifties hot rods, there were purple cars back then, even some on the dry lakes.
I thought I maybe a very dark blue/violet metallic with red or maybe yellow orange steelie wheels.

After searching the rattle can racks I couldn't find exactly what I wanted....the choices:

• Tamiya Blue Violet........ value too pale, hue a bit bland light blue, a solid color, a metallic might be better
  •  
  • Tamiya Deep Metallic Blue......right value, dark, but hue was too blue, not enough violet
  •  
  • Model Master Deep Pearlescent Purple enamel.........dark enough but not exciting
  •  
  • Model Master/Rustoleum  Ford Ultra Violet Pearl Lacquer.........the right value, dark, and a deep violet hue, and its a fast drying lacquer

Made  a decision, went with it.
Here's what I got. ...parts mocked up, not glued yet.
The Tamiya Chrome Yellow is a bit too orange for my liking.....wish they had a lighter yellow in a spray can.

body and wheels.JPG

Wheels baby moons trim rings.JPG

flathead valve covers Alclad.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

20 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

love it so far. What kit did you steal the hairpins from, they look longer that the ones in the revell 32 Ford kit? 

That might be hard to answer....IIRC when I started this one years ago  I grabbed two sets out of old kits of that era.

I recall I wanted old style hairpins, not modern.

Candidate kits may have been Revell Tony Nancy dragsters and the M. Thompson Attempt One.

The T. Nancy dragster hair pins were too small for me, (BTW very similar in size and appearance to the Revell 32 5 W Coupe) and still in my parts stash bag , so my guess is the Attempt One.

I'll have to dig up that kit to check.

You know what...I'll bet Tim knows...he has written and sourced parts from just about every dragster/roadster kit released.

Edited by SpeedShift

Wow - you nailed the colour scheme for the car. I have a very similar colour scheme on a 30 Woody and it really pops!  Stance is looking really good as well.  I have a Jimmy Flintstone body somewhere to be built in a near identical theme to this but in my head it was going to be dark metallic green with apple green wires and grille - sad thing is it is still only in my head!

Cheers

Alan

P.S. never knew about that trailer in the Attempt 1 kit - i got several of the 80s/90s version but not this one.  Another trailer to hunt for!

Cheers

Alan