Model Cars Magazine Forum

model master metallizer

many years ago i bought a bunch of different model master metallizer colors. They brush on so well and is great for rotors, exhaust, etc. However, after all these years later i finally used up all of my aluminum plate color, but i cant seem to find it anywhere. is this stuff discontinued? or is it renamed/rebranded?

its a really thinned version, that could be airbrushed right out of the bottle if you wanted 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/tes1420xxx.htm

Edited by youpey

Now is a good time to experiment with a few brands of other metallic/metal paints. I need to do the same myself.. Finding something similar to aluminum plate buffing I bet is a challenge. The buffing being the key and what I enjoy out of the little of it I have left, it brings/brought in all those natural metal tones when dry buffed up.

Edited by Dave G.

16 hours ago, youpey said:

many years ago i bought a bunch of different model master metallizer colors. They brush on so well and is great for rotors, exhaust, etc. However, after all these years later i finally used up all of my aluminum plate color, but i cant seem to find it anywhere. is this stuff discontinued? or is it renamed/rebranded?

4 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Now is a good time to experiment with a few brands of other metallic/metal paints. I need to do the same myself.. Finding something similar to aluminum plate buffing I bet is a challenge. The buffing being the key, it brought in all those natural metal tones when dry buffed up.

I'm making a Hobby Lobby run tomorrow to see if my local store has any of the MM Metalizer paints left on the shelf. Especially since the 40% is going away.

1 minute ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm making a Hobby Lobby run tomorrow to see if my local store has any of the MM Metalizer paints left on the shelf. Especially since the 40% is going away.

I  wish you luck with that Mike. All the colors I used were gone a year ago around here. I wonder if anyone at all does the buffing lacquers, like maybe in the Mr Color line of paints... I've seen a couple of reviews on the AK metal paints that I though a little interesting. On my 1911 Mercer build is some copper parts, would love a copper buffing metallic but what I have is little square bottle Testors copper enamel or craft paint. Honestly the craft paint named Copper Penny is pretty close and it dries not quite flat, might be able to partially buff that ( just came to me this second).

35 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I  wish you luck with that Mike. All the colors I used were gone a year ago around here. I wonder if anyone at all does the buffing lacquers, like maybe in the Mr Color line of paints... I've seen a couple of reviews on the AK metal paints that I though a little interesting. On my 1911 Mercer build is some copper parts, would love a copper buffing metallic but what I have is little square bottle Testors copper enamel or craft paint. Honestly the craft paint named Copper Penny is pretty close and it dries not quite flat, might be able to partially buff that ( just came to me this second).

You always have good suggestions Dave. I'm not really expecting them to have the MM. I like the craft idea as I've kinda gravitated to them.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Finding something similar to aluminum plate buffing I bet is a challenge. The buffing being the key and what I enjoy out of the little of it I have left, it brings/brought in all those natural metal tones when dry buffed up.

Agreed! I love the MM Metalizers, and thought there are good alternatives (which I'm beginning to experiment with), I'm not sure how I'm going to live with out the Aluminum Plate Buffing Metalizer. That stuff is magic for bringing plastic parts to life. When I heard the stuff was going away I searched and managed to find three bottles, which I will use sparingly. Fortunately I bought a new gravity feed airbrush last spring which will help with economical use of the Metalizer paint.

17 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Agreed! I love the MM Metalizers, and thought there are good alternatives (which I'm beginning to experiment with), I'm not sure how I'm going to live with out the Aluminum Plate Buffing Metalizer. That stuff is magic for bringing plastic parts to life. When I heard the stuff was going away I searched and managed to find three bottles, which I will use sparingly. Fortunately I bought a new gravity feed airbrush last spring which will help with economical use of the Metalizer paint.

I use that aluminum buffing very sparingly for two reasons: to conserve yes but it also looks better put down in a couple of thin coats ! But I use the Badger 200, fine tip trimmed way back and with a side cup on it. In this way the paint is drawn off the very bottom of the cup unlike with a siphon bottle that always leaves a puddle at the bottom. That puddle is enough to paint with, to maybe shoot a tranny or intake or tri-power carbs. I have a gravity brush too but I'm just so used to that 200 and side cup. If I shot the gravity brush I have a .2 tip for that.

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

You always have good suggestions Dave. I'm not really expecting them to have the MM. I like the craft idea as I've kinda gravitated to them.

But I got the name wrong Mike, it's Worn Penny. I believe it DecoArt. I also use Craft Smart Rose Gold a lot.

Edit: by the way don't use alcohol in DecoArt.

Edited by Dave G.
added info

5 hours ago, Dave G. said:

But I got the name wrong Mike, it's Worn Penny. I believe it DecoArt. I also use Craft Smart Rose Gold a lot.

Edit: by the way don't use alcohol in DecoArt.

Since you mentioned Deco Art and alcohol Dave, I airbrushed Deco Art black enamel on a body today and didn't like some roughness after dryout with hair dryier. I had FolkArt black enamel and resprayed it and the Folk Art was smoother.

14 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Since you mentioned Deco Art and alcohol Dave, I airbrushed Deco Art black enamel on a body today and didn't like some roughness after dryout with hair dryier. I had FolkArt black enamel and resprayed it and the Folk Art was smoother.

How did you thin the DecoArt. What thinner ?

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

I used Createx 4012 thinner and a few drops 4030 Balancing clear. about a 50/50 mix. It seemed to be about skim milk consistance but maybe slightly thicker.  Did the same with the Folkart.

Well can't speak for those products in DecoArt, never tried it. I will say you want it thin enough though.

Edited by Dave G.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, Dave G. said:

But I use the Badger 200, fine tip trimmed way back and with a side cup on it. In this way the paint is drawn off the very bottom of the cup unlike with a siphon bottle that always leaves a puddle at the bottom. That puddle is enough to paint with, to maybe shoot a tranny or intake or tri-power carbs.

Badger200_SiphonTube.JPG.e5f12032a21f3b9718db4ea170a30a34.JPG

If you form (bend) the siphon tube like this, you can get very last drop of paint out of your Badger 200 bottom feed airbrush.  Yes, the tube touches the bottom of the jar. This has worked for me for over 30 years.  The black "bonnet" at the end of the tube is just some very fine nylon screen I have there to filter out any crud from the paint.  It does not affect the ability to suck up the paint from the bottom.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Badger200_SiphonTube.JPG.e5f12032a21f3b9718db4ea170a30a34.JPG

If you form (bend) the siphon tube like this, you can get very last drop of paint out of your Badger 200 bottom feed airbrush.  Yes, the tube touches the bottom of the jar. This has worked for me for over 30 years.  The black "bonnet" at the end of the tube is just some very fine nylon screen I have there to filter out any crud from the paint.  It does not affect the ability to suck up the paint from the bottom.

I like the screen.