Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Chevrolet Nova SS

Captain Spaulding

Time for my next project, another 1969 Chevrolet, this time it's Revell's 1969 Chevrolet Nova SS. Haven't decided on body and interior color yet, my province is just getting the stay at home order lifted so want to visit the local flea market and see what automotive colors they have in stock.

Not much to show yet, just started painting the motor parts. 

20210209_090902.jpg

20210209_095004.jpg

4 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Been thinking about getting one of these, what does it have for drag parts? Engine is looking good..

It has the dual carb setup, headers, roll bar, slicks and a few other pieces. About the normal you'd find in a kit.

It's a good kit, I'd recommend it and sure you can build a nice drag car out of it.

16 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Nice work on the chassis. So was it a Testors One Coat Lacquer that caused an issue?

Thanks pal. Got some paint at Michael's this summer and 2 out of 4 cans are really runny. Planned on using Testors custom metal green flake. I primered a test piece first and found when I went to spray the Testors paint it literally was running down it in places and it's not from me spraying too much.

20210215_195459.jpg

Edited by Captain Spaulding

When you were shaking the can to get everything in suspension in the paint, was the "rattle" in the can working ??  I have had a couple of these that have set on the shelf for a couple of years and I almost gave up on them until I could get them to rattle at all. I think this may be due to the mount of particles in the paint that have settled in the can. You have no way of knowing how long this sat on the shelf at Michaels.      

3 hours ago, espo said:

When you were shaking the can to get everything in suspension in the paint, was the "rattle" in the can working ??  I have had a couple of these that have set on the shelf for a couple of years and I almost gave up on them until I could get them to rattle at all. I think this may be due to the mount of particles in the paint that have settled in the can. You have no way of knowing how long this sat on the shelf at Michaels.      

It was still rattling in the can, was thinking the same myself it's probably sat there for a long time. Mentioned it to a friend last night and he had 2 suggestions which I tried and seemed to make it better. Tip the can upside down overnight, then tape it to my sawzall blade and give it a good shake for a few minutes. 

It's not perfect but a bigger improvement from what it was before.

1 hour ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Car has it's first coat of paint on it, not perfect but a big improvement over what it was before. Once it dries I'm sure will look better.

Painted the interior today, had this humbrol color for 10 years now and never used it, needed a good stirring but went on really good.

20210216_140245.jpg

20210216_140651.jpg

With all you have done the only thing else to consider might be to warm the can in some standing hot water for a few minuets, although it looks like the green pigment still isn't getting picked up when you spray. I'll have to remember the sawzall trick. If that doesn't get it mixed up I don't know what will. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

With all you have done the only thing else to consider might be to warm the can in some standing hot water for a few minuets, although it looks like the green pigment still isn't getting picked up when you spray. I'll have to remember the sawzall trick. If that doesn't get it mixed up I don't know what will. 

I've never tried the standing hot water, I'll have to give that a try. It looks better after it dried and I didn't put a heavy coat on it.

13 minutes ago, AMT68 said:

Nice detail work on the interior. Did you use a decal or is that paint for the floor mat? Hopefully I'll get mine on the bench in the near future since I've always heard positive reviews on this kit. 

Thanks bud appreciate it, I actually detailed the floor mat and interior with a black and silver sharpie. Seen it done on a video I watched on YouTube and tried it. Was happy with the results.