Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1950 3100 Chevy Pickup*

Once I got the suspenion dropped to look like my full side 49 the tires and wheels looked better.  Since this was my first build in 50+ years I have made my fair share of mistakes.  I guess it's a good thing as I know what not to do on the next build.  I should have started off with a straight build and not so many modifications.  I had to ditch the suspension and use straight steel axles to get it to really drop down.  I also could not get the corner windows to fit at all so glued them in the best I could but I don't line them.  The windsheld was going great until I touched it with some glue.  Well....like I said, this is a learning cure for me.  I also swapped the straight 6 for a V8 and I'm trying to shoe horn it in but I think I have it. I'll have to leave the fan blade off though.  Here's what I have so far.  Done beat me up to bad fellows.   

20210311_111444.jpg

20200522_174930.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Hi Bob, Not sure what size your 1:1 truck wheels are, but Pegasus also makes the same wheels you bought in 23”. Not sure if that is any help. The truck is coming along well, very nice effort for a first build in 50 years! 

Cheers, Steve 

Well done for the first attempt in 50 years.  We all have a starting point and only improve from there.  The air brush will completely change your model building life.  All of the advice on various adhesives, paints, tools, products and techniques will do the same.  It takes a few builds and learning, and then you look at your accomplishment and say "wow, I'm really happy with that!"  I'm one to talk, nothing completed in 25 years, but I have a bench full of WIPs going on, a couple resurrected and others started this winter.  I'm doing a lot of relearning myself.

Bob, what I like most about your model is - it looks like your truck!  Mission accomplished.

The flaws that you see are no doubt annoying but they will always stick out more to you than others who view it.  I would be very happy if I could get a wheel and tyre combo on a model that was as close to scale as the set you have chosen.  The colour looks very close.  The stance looks spot on, steel axles or no steel axles.

As for the glue spots on the windshield, I will guarantee that there is not a single member of tis forum who hasn't done that at least once.  You will find that most of the builders on here with crystal clear windshields either use Mod Plodge or Elmers or some type of white, water soluble PVA type glue.  It is not as strong as model glue but if you are gentle it will stay put and any flaws can be gently removed with a damp cloth.

I will look forward to seeing your next project if this is our first in fifty years!

Cheers

Alan