Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rare Kits... prices.

48 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Has that become that rare ?

A 1969 version still sealed in the original wrap (with a seemingly legit vintage price sticker to back that up) is, IMHO. Very few have survived in that condition, never opened.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Has that become that rare ?

Not really. Just saw at least 5 Badman kits on eBay up for auction. Auctions and ridiculous bidding is what’s driving insane, stupid money in the hundreds. Sellers are getting greedy.

There is one offered for sale for $44.97 with free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304366200543?hash=item46dda3a6df:g:DFQAAOSwnAJiEujR

Edited by BlackSheep214

14 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not really. Just saw at least 5 Badman kits on eBay up for auction. Auctions and ridiculous bidding is what’s driving insane, stupid money in the hundreds. Sellers are getting greedy.

That isn't the kit, just the trading card that came in an early kit.

As for being greedy, sellers can ask for whatever they want, but if nobody steps up and pays it, then there's no sale.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Sellers are greedy? That makes no sense in an auction where the buyers are dictating the price.  Somebody buying all the Badman kits so nobody else gets one, that’s greedy. 

Edited by Erik Smith
  • Like 1

If you just want to build one, the last issue is nearly the same as the first.  The color of the window tint varies over different issues.  Recent issues need a little body work on the driver's side below the vent window frame, involving smoothing up the area and rescribing the door line.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Most all Tom Daniels kits are really high now!   Check out TeJuana Taxi.

Yeah they are. I was lucky to have the California Vette in a bundle purchase from another forum member at SPAM. Now the same kit are selling for stupid money - $150 and up.

I did the Tijuana Taxi as a kid and loved it. Then again, I’ve done a lot of Tom Daniels Design kits back then.

So many I’d love to have another crack at some of Tom Daniels kits now....

Cherry Bomb

Vandal/Vanbulance

Tijuana Taxi

Rommels Rod - I think you can still buy their re-issued kits

Bad Medicine

Red Baron

Trantula

And so many countless others. There were quite a few I have never done too. Fun times back then.

• Like 1

Great thread.  As I'm building a rare-ish kit at the moment (Jo Han Pro Stock Maverick), I'm reminded of the t-shirt I used to see at car shows - "Anybody can restore an old car.  It takes a real man to cut one up!"  

I suppose anyone can buy an old kit, but actually opening the cello is another story.  😄

2 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

Great thread.  As I'm building a rare-ish kit at the moment (Jo Han Pro Stock Maverick), I'm reminded of the t-shirt I used to see at car shows - "Anybody can restore an old car.  It takes a real man to cut one up!"  

I suppose anyone can buy an old kit, but actually opening the cello is another story.  😄

I’ve got a few kits from my youth/teen years I’ve been wanting another shot in building again  - auto and aircrafts.

When I do start on them, I won’t rush on it like I did in my younger years. This time around, I’ll enjoy the build and take my time.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 10:35 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

So many I’d love to have another crack at some of Tom Daniels kits now....

Don't hesitate-- buy them now, or pay more later. Most of those you listed are still under $50, but that's only going to increase since Revell and TD are no longer working together, and Atlantis likely doesn't have the TD themed kits Revell reissued over the last 20 years or so.

TD stuff keeps climbing in price, and speaking of rare, when's the last time you saw a 1/16 Monogram/TD Muscle Bug?

s-l1600.jpg

TDMB.png.7c65e6cd16afdb97f8487b1009ef72e2.png

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Don't hesitate-- buy them now, or pay more later. Most of those you listed are still under $50, but that's only going to increase since Revell and TD are no longer working together, and Atlantis likely doesn't have the TD themed kits Revell reissued over the last 20 years or so.

TD stuff keeps climbing in price, and speaking of rare, when's the last time you saw a 1/16 Monogram/TD Muscle Bug?

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah... I've seen that on eBay not too long ago. It has been decades and decades since I saw that kit. I wasn't a fan of VW kits back then but my sister did do the Baja Beast VW Van kit when we were kids. LOL!

15 hours ago, Casey said:

s-l1600.jpg

I paid way less for a Monogram big drag kit just a few years ago....🙄