Model Cars Magazine Forum

Was a '60-'66 Chevy long bed pickup kit ever made?

Anyone know if a '60-'66 Chevy long bed pickup model kit was ever made?  One of my old WIPs was converting two short beds to a long bed.  I pulled that one out of the box recently and wasn't happy with the work from 15-20 years ago.  I think I can save it, but just curious whether a long bed was ever made.  I'm guessing one of the aftermarket resin companies probably supplied the pieces to build one?

Edited by Kromolly

9 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

AMT produced annual long bed Chevy pickups in the early 60s.

I don't know exactly to what point, but I know that at the very least they were produced from 1960 to 1963.

I have an original 1962 Chevrolet Apache long bed truck.

Steve

Oh wow, that '62 is cool.  Years ago I owned a '64 C20 with a Buick 425 nailhead.  Gotta build a model of that, it was a pretty cool old truck.  Hence the need for a long bed.

7 hours ago, Kromolly said:

Oh wow, that '62 is cool.  Years ago I owned a '64 C20 with a Buick 425 nailhead.  Gotta build a model of that, it was a pretty cool old truck.  Hence the need for a long bed.

Revell made a '64 or '65 with the short fleetside bed. I'd have to check to make sure of the year. You would have to lengthen the bed and frame. There may be someone that casts that bed. Check with Rookie Resins.

The original AMT Chevy long beds weren't that great. Wonky wheel openings in the front. Body lines don't match up and are rounded. The tailgate needs work. The lip that runs along the bottom of the bed and wheels opening is wrong. Hood is wider than the cowl. Honestly not worth the money they command IMO. The only reason I bought one was to have it to go with my '60 F-100. You can build a decent model with one. But, it takes a lot of work.

48866314196_373a732eeb_c.jpg

20 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Revell made a '64 or '65 with the short fleetside bed. I'd have to check to make sure of the year. You would have to lengthen the bed and frame. There may be someone that casts that bed. Check with Rookie Resins.

The original AMT Chevy long beds weren't that great. Wonky wheel openings in the front. Body lines don't match up and are rounded. The tailgate needs work. The lip that runs along the bottom of the bed and wheels opening is wrong. Hood is wider than the cowl. Honestly not worth the money they command IMO. The only reason I bought one was to have it to go with my '60 F-100. You can build a decent model with one. But, it takes a lot of work.

48866314196_373a732eeb_c.jpg

I have two of the Revell '64 kits and started that long bed conversion years ago.  Pulled it out of the box recently and wasn't happy with it.  I'll probably go ahead and work that one over sine not much is available.  That's a nice looking 62? you have there.  I like the side trim on those.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

The amt kit is still available, I think the most recent version has a two tone grey one on the box

That was a mistake by Ertl, repeated by RC2, who used the same box art model as Ertl. An original longbed with the side trim was used, when the model inside was the new-in-the-'90s shortbox, as Roger mentioned:

s-l500.png.5d6188a8f136837152af70130e5f435c.png