Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS 396 " Special Edition "

rob1957

Hello. This kit is featured on another thread mentioning some fit-up concerns .

Here is our build .

Colour is Tru-Color  TCP-702 Met'l Candy Apple Red . Outside mirrors were in 2 pieces and I got the angles wrong .

Fit-up issue in previous thread was rear bumper . As can be seen here .  I struggled with this and just had to let it go as is .

drivers side.JPG

Nice tires and rim combo .

We got some peal and stick window tint from local car shop and experimented with that . Practiced on another windshield before we applied to Chevelle .

Tricky to eliminate air bubbles from forming .

SS 396 and Chevelle insignia are decals . They worked out allright .

Air inlets on hood : We used Molotov Chrome stick on these , applied with a 3/0 Escoda paint brush . Would have been nice if they had chrome pieces to insert .

Pass side.JPG

A bit of detail under the hood .

Nice selection of decals .

Detail Master Battery Hardware kit for some extra effect . Tip : Wire up battery first , Then insert , I did this *ssbackwards and had some difficulty .

Everything slid into place real easy .

engine view.JPG

Nice undercarriage . Good fit-up.

Optical illusion with the tires in this photo. They are straight .

All in all , this was a good kit to build . Very little flash on sprues . Good instructions . A fun build , we enjoyed it .

So that wraps it up for our 1969 SS Chevelle .

Please feel free to leave comments .

Thanks.

undercarriage.JPG

Great looking finish and the use of different color shades on the chassis and engine add a great deal to the overall look. The mirrors, maybe switch them from side to side depending on how you mounted them.  

Thanks for comments everyone . The 2 piece frame/undercarriage is a nice touch .

Exhaust lined up perfectly , sometimes there have been some alignment issues on our other builds . My fault on those .

I'd give this kit high marks in the final score .

I had wondered about the flare of the wheel wells on the body though , I'm not an expert by any stretch , but I thought they were a bit too pronounced . It certainly does

not detract from the kit as a whole .

Thanks for feedback ATHU , TOM99 , PappyD340 . I need to work on paint/finish technique , had trouble with wet-sanding on my Tamiya Clear Coat . Applied 1 coat , wetsand with

Micro Mesh pads 3200 grit and came up with noticeable scratches .

We probably won't use Tru-Color paints again ,  must have been doing something wrong as it wouldn't come up to a nice shine at all.

I wish  I could have achieved better results in the end with this build . Live and learn .