Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone from canada??

69_Stingray

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, 69_Stingray said:

Hey, I was wondering if there are any modelers up here in canada. 

Also, is there anyone from saskatchewan?

Thanks,   Mark

There are a few of us. I'm in southern Saskatchewan and the only builder in my community.

11 minutes ago, 69_Stingray said:

Cool! I'm in the yorkton area.

We're a fair distance apart. I live about a hundred miles south of MJ near the Montana border although I have relatives living in Esterhazy which as I recall is not that far from your location. Are you able to get kits and supplies in your area or are you like others, myself included, having to drive into Regina or Saskatoon to get what you need ? As I recall I've only been in Yorkton a couple times in my life and both were brief stops.

Just now, robertw said:

We're a fair distance apart. I live about a hundred miles south of MJ near the Montana border although I have relatives living in Esterhazy which as I recall is not that far from your location. Are you able to get kits and supplies in your area or are you like others, myself included, having to drive into Regina or Saskatoon to get what you need ? As I recall I've only been in Yorkton a couple times in my life and both were brief stops.

I mostly order online, there is a good hobby shop in winnipeg, it's called hobby sense.  Then there is redline hobby, been there a couple of times, not bad selection.

There is a good hobby shop in saskatoon I was there earlier this year, nice varied selection/full line hobby shop with railroading, rc and diecast.

I also use ebay.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, 69_Stingray said:

I mostly order online, there is a good hobby shop in winnipeg, it's called hobby sense.  Then there is redline hobby, been there a couple of times, not bad selection.

There is a good hobby shop in saskatoon I was there earlier this year, nice varied selection/full line hobby shop with railroading, rc and diecast.

I also use ebay.

Heven't been in Winnipeg in years. Redline has become iffy. The original owner sold it a couple of years back and it has slipped quite badly since then although the last couple of times I've been in he had a nice selection of preowned kits at decent prices and of course no tax.  Express Hobbies in Saskatoon is excellent with the best selection of paints I've ever seen. They carry the complete Tamiya line, spray & bottle laquers, enamels & acrylics, Alclad, Mission Models Gunze, Valejao and several other lines. Also of course an excellent selection of kits. I did the long trip up there last week to stock up on paints for the winter modelling season. As I often tell others, "if you're a modeller in a small out of the way community then you have to be your own hobby shop." Have you ever checked out the hobby shop in PA. I haven't visited it in a few years but it did have a good reputation. Did a trip to Calgary and Edmonton about three years ago and while the number of shops has decreased the quality of the remaining ones is still good. If I can I prefer to shop in he brick & mortar stores rather then online for the simple reason of helping them stay in business after all there are not that many of us who still play with plastic. Enjoying the chance to chat, although there are model clubs in both Regina and Saskatoon both had to shut down their monthly meetings because of COVID. Keep on building,

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, Bullybeef said:

😅😂😜

I’m from Newfoundland so that makes me half Canadian as well hahahaha. 

I occasionally find myself wondering exactly which half is the Canadian half...

Of course, the Canadian half is Scots and English, so I guess it's sorta moot.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I live 4 miles away from the last place british folk stepped on british soil before emmigrating to canada. Most europeans stopped in by to topup their supplies too before attempting the arlantic. The pier the boats left from is still there but now owned by the lighthouse board. The well they filled up from is still there too. All these boats went to hudsons bay packed with people and returned packed with furs and other goods

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I occasionally find myself wondering exactly which half is the Canadian half...

Of course, the Canadian half is Scots and English, so I guess it's sorta moot.  :D

My grandparents on my Mom's side were also English and Scottish. My grandfather used to tease her that during WWII he used to see toilet paper hung out to dry when flew over Scotland LOL

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, bytownshaker said:

My grandparents on my Mom's side were also English and Scottish. My grandfather used to tease her that during WWII he used to see toilet paper hung out to dry when flew over Scotland LOL

I can be frugal, but not quite to that extreme. Paper towels, on the other hand... :D

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

My wife wants to move to Dog River, (aka Rouleau) Sask. She likes the show so much that we now have a Copy of the Ruby sign in our Great Room.

WE even started started watching the CFL Grey Cup games. So, the family is trending North.

S01E01-The_Ruby_sign.webp.6b4e85acb842d9d8284790dec0eebfff.webp

• Like 2

I live in Victoria British Columbia which has always had a very strong car culture of hot rods, street machines, sports cars, circle track racers and exotic cars. It also has a superior community of car modellers with a few achieving world recognition. We have always been very fortunate having a hobby shop and at times multiple hobby shops. Currently we have one very good hobby shop operated by a very progressive owner. Car modellers have a very good relationship with the Victoria IPMS club and are routinely the largest entrants at their local model contest. Every three years car modellers host a very popular model display at Northwest Deuce Days the largest Deuce car show in the world.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 11:14 AM, bytownshaker said:

Clarence Creek Ont. 55kms east of Ottawa.

About the same distance but different direction from Ottawa in Embrun.

For some reason I never stumbled across this topic before - always something new to discover.

cheers, Graham

3 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

About the same distance but different direction from Ottawa in Embrun.

For some reason I never stumbled across this topic before - always something new to discover.

cheers, Graham

I thought you were from the Ottawa area, I lived in Russell for a couple of years and went to North Dundas High School.