Model Cars Magazine Forum

I took a few days break break from this, as I just wasn't "feeling it", regarding the manifold. I played around with one of those RM Kustom Chopper kits I have up in the closet. I made a couple of mods to it, that I had planned, then took another look at this. I have decided that I don't need to build another one, because I like this one, better than I thought I did! 

That said, I went ahead with working on the linkages. The throttle shafts and links went together much easier than I was expecting. That was a nice surprise! I glued the fuel valve in place, as well. Next job will be installing the injector lines and fittings. Comments, queries and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

I'm glad to see that you decided to stick with this first version Daniel, as you put a lot of time and dedication into it, not to mention that it's nice and well done!  Taking a short break in the making of a complex part is often beneficial because it allows us to see things differently and to appreciate it when we take the time to look at it with a new eye.  You made the right decision and this manifold will be beautiful with all the details you added!  It already is... 👍

On 1/16/2022 at 10:07 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I'm glad to see that you decided to stick with this first version Daniel, as you put a lot of time and dedication into it, not to mention that it's nice and well done!  Taking a short break in the making of a complex part is often beneficial because it allows us to see things differently and to appreciate it when we take the time to look at it with a new eye.  You made the right decision and this manifold will be beautiful with all the details you added!  It already is... 👍

Thank you, my friend. Sometimes a different perspective, is all that's needed! It is kinda' pretty!

6 hours ago, afx said:

Nice work on the manifold.

Thanks, JC! Appreciate it!

I added the "flanges"/tabs that secure the 1:1 velocity tubes to the throttle bodies. I also started working on the injectors @absmiami had asked how/what I was going to do with the lines and fittings--now, I guess we both know! I cross-drilled .030" square styrene strip and inserted a small model RR hex bolt casting through it and cemented it with WeldOn 4. While it dried, I bored into a length of .030" hex rod, and stripped the end of a length of the pictured TCS wire. This wire is super flexible. It should work beautifully, here. I slipped a short length of the hex over the stripped end of the wire and super glued it (leaving just under .030" of the conductor exposed). Next, I drilled across the .030" strip, perpendicular to and across the original hole (thus, through the bolt). Finally, I super glued the wire with the hex fitting into the hole in the strip. Lastly, i dipped the fitting end into a bottle of brass metallizer, and painted the bolt head with non-buffing aluminum metallizer. Comments critiques and questions are always welcome. Thank fer lookin'!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Purty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH cool. I like those "welds". That worked pretty well. Gonna have to remember that one. For color of the manifold. the silver you had on it was good for texture and just needed a little wash with Tamiya panel accent. OR even old school wash with india ink and water.

But then, as a guy on a VW offroad forum says..."my opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it.

5 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

OR even old school wash with india ink and water.

That's my go-to! I am about to get back to this, after a short break to build a curbside '63 Chevy II station wagon L/SA racer. It was supposed to get finished for the 24 hour build, on Facebook, but, it took me about ten days! 😄 I'm really happy with the way this manifold turned out. The welds did work out, beautifully! It seems like I never stop thinking about "how can I do that?", or, "I wonder if I can make that?" Sometimes, it keeps me awake. I can think of plenty of worse things, to be "cursed" with! And, just for the record--I place a pretty high value on your opinions, and experience(s). Thanks, Richard!

• 2 weeks later...

Dash is installed, gauges are hooked up. The clear mono line is for the mechanical oil pressure gauge, the copper is the thermocouple for the temp gauge. I also connected the mag kill. I installed the wheel, as well. As always, comments, questions and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 2

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified