Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C-600 Series Truck Reference Pics & Info

Actually, These 1/87 Ford C cab kit are VERY OLD and RARE!!!

Revell tooled these in the Late 50's!!

They did NOT re-issue them that I know

Im fact they Sold off All their Model Rail-Road kits some time in the early-Mid 60s

Heljan Concor must have Purchased the tooling at some point

HOPEFULLY they still have them an dcan be convinced to rei-ssue them again

Including the Convert-a-Car MoPar set too!!

Revell issued the Car carrier molded in Red, black & white as in the picture of the Built model

The Global Van lines kit was molded in Medium & Light Blue and white

The Same cab roof as well as the trailer roof were white in the Van

It also included some furniture for the 'Move'

I have Both kits , 2 of the Car rack

Heljan-Concor molded that one in Brown, the van in white

The Convert-a-car kit included 7 61-62 Chrysler cars

Newport convert, and Imperial  Chryslers,

Dodge Dart, Polara, & Dart

Plymouth were Valiant, and Fury 

I THINK

2 were wagons

I need to did mine out again to check which was which outside of the Newport Convert

Revell issued these in Kit & Built, with bodies molded in Bright Glossy colors and CHROME parts

The Heljan kit has the bodies gray and all accessory parts black except for the clear windows

Anyone close to Heljan-Concor??

Please try to get them to re-issue these OLD Revell kits

They are VERY hard to come by now!!!!

Atmobil, You got VERY Lucky getting that kit

Or maybe  they are still readily available over there!!!

1 hour ago, Edsel-Dan said:

Actually, These 1/87 Ford C cab kit are VERY OLD and RARE!!!

Revell tooled these in the Late 50's!!

They did NOT re-issue them that I know

Im fact they Sold off All their Model Rail-Road kits some time in the early-Mid 60s

Heljan Concor must have Purchased the tooling at some point

HOPEFULLY they still have them an dcan be convinced to rei-ssue them again

Yup, Heljan Con-Cor acquired and re-released many of Revell's HO-scale building kits, including the really nice engine-house, Superior Bakery-newspaper plant series.

They also did some runs of the trucks...   image.jpeg.3c295bf23e797864a60e58fc6acde940.jpeg

...and the tractor has been released with more modern trailers too...

image.jpeg.84cae1a2f72bfccf1c39a797378eb3e2.jpeg   image.jpeg.e7ad2b50040f763166ee85bc1605e268.jpeg   image.jpeg.be21ed8979aff71c0ff43e066332a13e.jpeg    Image result for hel jan ford tractor 1/87

EDIT: Athearn has done several C-series Ford trucks, and as it's pretty common for HO manufacturers to swap tooling and/or offer each other's products in different packaging, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the Athearn pieces were based on the ancient Revell tooling too.

Image result for athearn ford truck   Image result for athearn ford truck

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 9 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup, Heljan Con-Cor acquired and re-released many of Revell's HO-scale building kits, including the really nice engine-house, Superior Bakery-newspaper plant series.

They also did some runs of the trucks...   image.jpeg.3c295bf23e797864a60e58fc6acde940.jpeg

...and the tractor has been released with more modern trailers too...

image.jpeg.84cae1a2f72bfccf1c39a797378eb3e2.jpeg   image.jpeg.e7ad2b50040f763166ee85bc1605e268.jpeg   image.jpeg.be21ed8979aff71c0ff43e066332a13e.jpeg    Image result for hel jan ford tractor 1/87

EDIT: Athearn has done several C-series Ford trucks, and as it's pretty common for HO manufacturers to swap tooling and/or offer each other's products in different packaging, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the Athearn pieces were based on the ancient Revell tooling too. Actually the Athearn "c"s are total different tooling and much better.

Image result for athearn ford truck   Image result for athearn ford truck

I believe the Athearn Ford Cs are their own.  According to their website, they offer a wide range of vintage Ford trucks.

Note this fire truck of theirs sports a canopy cab...

https://1-87vehicles.org/Reviews/athearn_ford_fire_truck.php

Info on Heljan's issue of the Revell HO vehicle kits:

http://www.87thscale.info/heljan.htm

Edited by Brian Austin

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE:

"Budd sold them to just about everyone, didn't they."

From Wikipedia:

" Some historians have erroneously referred to the Ford tilt-cab as the "Budd" cab, implying it was an off-the-shelf item available to anyone. However, the C-series cab was designed by Ford, tooled at its own expense and built by the Budd Company to Ford Motor Company specifications. Other truck manufacturers had to obtain Ford approval before purchasing it. The exception was Mack, which bought most of the major cab stampings from Budd and assembled them itself on a floor pan of its own design."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C_series

Hey Folks.  I have a couple projects I am going to use the AMT C600 etc for.

One of you fine folks tell me what wheelbase is represented from the 3 available kits??

I was introduced to a C-800 in the late 80's when I worked for Suburban Propane, wish I had some pics..

Long flatbed with a knuckle boom behind the cab for moving residential propane tanks.

429 factory propane carb'd, 5 speed, two speed rear..

Fun to drive, drove it all over No Calif and western Nevada..

a quicky shot of one of the potential projects..

trans01.jpg

Man...there's some ace-double-cool info and pix on this thread. I've always loved the look of these things, always wanted to build a real rollback with this cab. Missed a remarkably clean low-mileage cab and chassis in AZ. a few years back, cheap, 'cause I just didn't have anywhere to keep it at the time. I'm probably getting too old to get everything else done in the time I have left and build a rollback too, but if I were 20 years younger...

On 8/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ralph Henderson said:

One of you fine folks tell me what wheelbase is represented from the 3 available kits??

I see your question was answered in another forum section, but for future reference in this topic, here's the post containing the various wheelbases which were available:

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I see your question was answered in another forum section, but for future reference in this topic, here's the post containing the various wheelbases which were available:

Thanks Casey. I was looking for the wheelbase' that the kits represented.  "Leafsprings" gave me the answer.  111, 133, 153.  I looked all over the forum, the net, everywhere, and couldn't find THOSE numbers.  Now we have em!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2010 at 4:31 PM, Ben said:

There was a very nice, very extensive photo etch set made for the AMT C series kits by Harald Weber of Germany. You can see pics in my Fotki albums in the "in progress" folder.

www.public.fotki.com/lotso

I finally found some shots of the photo etch fret, does anybody still make or sell this??

3 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

I finally found some shots of the photo etch fret, does anybody still make or sell this??

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like (from reading the relevant posts in the AMT Ford C-series Truck Review topic) that it was a limited offering from someone in Europe when current.