Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C-600 Series Truck Reference Pics & Info

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like (from reading the relevant posts in the AMT Ford C-series Truck Review topic) that it was a limited offering from someone in Europe when current.

Yeah, that's what i was afraid of.  Oh well, maybe some one will step up and do some detail stuff.  Lots of light and medium duty Fords could use it..

On 9/19/2019 at 5:25 PM, Ralph Henderson said:

I finally found some shots of the photo etch fret, does anybody still make or sell this??

No, Harald made the set himself for a glass carrying truck he was building. He just happen to make a few extra sets. I bought two of them.

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

How about a '62 with a 262. Note 5 lug wheels which would indicate a C 550, the lowest end of the series.

IMG_5607 (1).JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

I drove a flatbed C800 (I think it was an 800, it was in the late 70's, and I've slept since then) It was a factory equipped propane powered 429 and quite honestly it was a bit of a slug in the hills around Northern California, and my brother in law had an early 60's 1/2 ton Ford with a 262 in it, and that was a slug going downhill with a tailwind.  I cant imagine a 20,000 lb truck with one of those motors in it.  I know gears help, but wow...

Those 5 lugs are around, through Modelhaus Tires, and Scenes Unlimited. and I think Ken Kitchen even does a 262.  Fireball does an awesome New Process granny 4 speed, also

Edited by Ralph Henderson

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Note the correct axle hub for a C 900 series truck. A must do upgrade! Compare it the AMT kit's feeble rear axle hub.  A twin screw is also a nice upgrade! Not a crane, but a grain. This one appears to have a "centerpoint" front axle. '68-'70 had the upper side emblem location, '60-'69  900's had the "super duty" script above grill. 

114018547_HillsboroughNH(2004)img535copy.jpg.d75ba5cd3e9c420b04784f89ca303ca8.jpg

85dbf5279658e17ccc4dc373d2c61f4b.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

Just a quick note/reminder that there was a two-part race car transporter/trailer article in Model Cars magazine around 2013 or 2014 that included info on fixing the fit/build problems on the AMT C-Series Tilt Cab models, as well as the addition of the factory sleeper cab option.  I presume that these two back issues are still available via the MCM website....TIM 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:42 AM, Casey said:

Canadians get all the cool stuff. 😢

This one can be pin pointed to '63-'65, due to the door emblems, mirror design and amber  lens in grill. Most C series came with painted front bumpers, but the chrome bumper and the "custom cab" option is a natural for pumper conversions.

Edited by leafsprings

14 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

portland or  8772046161_269edd7cd9_o.jpg

Great looking picture. Not sure where it came from or if you have any information about the dealership in the picture. Something that comes to my mind is one the name Tonkin. I'm thinking of a dealer in the Pacific Northwest. The cars on the transport trucks look as if this is a fleet order arriving. I notice that they seem mostly to be the base model Mercury's and two door post with a few four doors. They all seem to have the black wall tires and all painted white. I know that Murcury's were used often by law enforcement in 1957. Makes one wonder why they were making such a big deal out of a shipment of white base model cars. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking picture. Not sure where it came from or if you have any information about the dealership in the picture. Something that comes to my mind is one the name Tonkin. I'm thinking of a dealer in the Pacific Northwest. 

If you click on Brian's image, you can see "NORTHWEST'S LARGEST VOLUME MERCURY DEALER" in lettering on the wall, and after a Google search, it turns out the building is (was, hard to tell if anything of the old building remains) located in Portland, OR.

*edit* the banners state Portland, ORE, too.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

If you click on Brian's image, you can see "NORTHWEST'S LARGEST VOLUME MERCURY DEALER" in lettering on the wall, and after a Google search, it turns out the building is (was, hard to tell if anything of the old building remains) located in Portland, OR.

*edit* the banners state Portland, ORE, too.

Thanks for the info. I'm unable to blow up the photo on my system.  The reason I asked about the dealers name is that I think a few years ago the head of the National Auto Dealers Assoc. was named Tonkin and he was from the Portland area. I'm sure they would be related. Still wonder about the cars. This is something I like about old photos like this, thinking about what the circumstances were behind the photos. 

46 minutes ago, espo said:

Still wonder about the cars. This is something I like about old photos like this, thinking about what the circumstances were behind the photos. 

Opening the image in a new window gets it to full size, and there seem to be more 4-door sedans and one two-door wagon on the left third of the photo. Plenty of details to comb through, for sure.

• 4 months later...

Bumped into a couple of tandem farm trucks in the local junkyard not too long ago. These two were staples in the area for years.

spacer.png

This one's a '62 and gas powered (FE if I'm not mistaken). Take a look at the cowl... you can see the nubs where the electric wiper stalks would go. This having air acutated wipers, naturally they're down lower and those areas are "flashed over" to borrow a scale modeling term.

spacer.png

This one's a '67, Cat diesel powered. If you've been reading MCM for a while, waaaaaaay back in April of 2015 I did a "spotter's guide" type article and this very same truck was one of the examples I used. Those were happier times and the truck wasn't nearly as mangled as seen here. Now, take a look at the cowl... no vesigial electric wiper bumps, even though electric wipers were still avaiable. I don't know when that change occured but I'm guessing it was 1966 when the grille-mounted lamps were moved to the cowl and we got the grille with "plugged" lamp openings on either end. 

Also, both trucks boast the sleeper, not too many of those made for C series tractors, much less straight trucks like these. 

If I had a bit more cash and a lot more shop space, I'd snap these up. More than enough to build one decent rig and have plenty of spares. Barring that I might just nab one of the sleepers, if for no other reason than to store it on the rafters of my barn. :P