Model Cars Magazine Forum

Automotive Restoration and Machine Shop

This will be my most involved diorama to date.  It will feature three levels (not stories), multiple work bays and a work area on the ground floor, a machine shop on the intermediate level, and offices-break area-storage on the highest level.   Follow along as I sink or swim.

1999057361_basebeginningsize.thumb.JPG.a489a6869762b0df8b8c002c8bef727a.JPG

This is the base of the structure as originally built.

960964352_basewithaddition.thumb.JPG.dda23e7d03bb38c18b65a6362b8f8b4b.JPG

I found that the original size was not going to allow me the authenticity that I was striving for, so an addition was built for it.

466284079_backwall.thumb.JPG.d2351f49edb0ce6f82736832e8ada523.JPG

This is the beginnings of the back wall.

This is an ambitious project indeed, Douglas ! and I shall be following this one for sure. My 1:24 scale diorama features four levels (floors) with the office on the top floor, and my 1:43 diorama features two levels. Good luck with calculating the authentic size, which I know from experience can be tricky. The baseboard needs to be surprisingly large, I find. You will have lots of space for model cars, and many opportunities for photography also.

David

I have some test fitting going on here.   I've been working on the machine shop area (second floor) the last few days. I decided to completely redesign it from the original plan as I feel that the 'L' shape gives it more character, while allowing increased viewing area of the space below. I still have many more hours of work to go on it, but I needed to temporarily set it in place to make sure that what I'm doing is proceeding well. My next steps will be to prepare it for lighting and steps/railings. In placing this, I've been given the thought of building an elevator to move large parts between the two levels. I'm not sure where I would put it, but I'll let the thought percolate for awhile.

IMG_0396.thumb.JPG.068ecb26a052532c69b73b6307f863a3.JPG

IMG_0397.thumb.JPG.a02517dc243b23b33c8b97e8cc01565e.JPG

I just found out that some parts that I need for it, that were supposed to be here today, won't get here until Friday or Saturday.  I really don't like delays, but that's life.  I guess that I'll have to work on the office area.

I really like the work you have done here, Douglas....... The layout and the realism is excellent. This is diorama building at it's best !

Your idea to include an elevator is interesting, and well worth considering if you can find a way to do that...... My 1:24 scale Hooper & Co. building, as it was in the 1950's had an elevator to move cars from the ground floor up to the first floor showroom, but I wasn't able to find space to include this feature, unfortunately.

David

This is just set temporarily in place for evaluation. In looking at this, it's difficult to comprehend that there is over 12 hours of work involved in it. I'm not sure why I go to all the work to draft these dioramas out; I never follow them. Originally, this was to be an office on legs like the work area. That would have been dramatic, but this is more authentic looking. I didn't draft this out at all, and was designed as I built. We will see how much trouble I got myself into with it. The lower level is a storage room and restrooms, with the upper level containing the office.

IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.32daca50f882783a7762aefa64aff699.JPG

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

Today was painting, followed by weathering and some detailing on the office and lower level. Much more is needed there, but I did want to set the stairs in place for evaluation and planning. The white lines below the upper ladder show an extension to the landing for which the steps will ascend from. None of this is glued yet, and won't be for some time.

IMG_0402-2.thumb.jpg.42ee6e0e00eaf273d17d8a3c38e3f6c9.jpg

12 hours ago, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

Today's work consisted of building the abandoned circuit breaker box and getting it into place in the diorama.

IMG_0426.thumb.JPG.13cb4677a9b043de9d9889a04c47b1f6.JPG

Now that is is the sort of detail that impresses me, Douglas........ Not just a circuit breaker box, but an ABANDONED circuit breaker box !

David

The last couple of days have been dedicated to railings. They look simple but are a real pain in the fingers and arms to install. They will get further adjustments and then weathering. The upper section will get 'catch fence' type railing. I have it pictured in my mind how I will build that, and it should be rather simple, but then, that's what I thought about the railing.

IMG_0436.thumb.JPG.0703cef3578d2c7d1a2bde554e30b81a.JPG

IMG_0439.thumb.JPG.a7949c4c8f8bf314d421c4cce157e1cc.JPG

It's actually starting to look like a shop, but there is much more to come.

• Like 1

The last couple of days brought in life chores, so work slowed on this. I did get the auto lifts pulled out and weathered/detailed, as well as getting the tire repair tools weathered and in place. I had to build a catch fence on the top level where the machine shop tools will go. I'm in the process of building a small crane to raise and lower equipment & projects between levels. I also have begun work on a dust collector system.

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.06b04c822ae52068ec602dcae7a6c7b0.JPG

IMG_0454.thumb.JPG.eaad20d2ff3e2d0850c8eeb7486ffa6b.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:58 PM, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

1996002626_6doorsreadytobeplaced.thumb.JPG.d94887ab250ee8c51ec16d44a6f6a779.JPG

I've been building old doors for the structure.   I've included a closeup of one of them as well as it in the proximity of where it will be placed.  It surprises me as to just how long these take to build.

Yes but they are beautiful.

Today I have the circuit breaker box completed and in place with conduits running from it. I also have the time card machine and card holder finished and hung. The walls are in the office and the personal lockers are weathered & fastened into place. Mr. Williams and a couple of his staff from Otto Ray Sing Classic Car Center are checking out my work. I certainly hope it passes their scrutiny. It would be quite embarrassing to fail the inspection of inanimate miniature plastic figures.

IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.1a68d7d7df3cc70abc1d7b000cf9fa5a.JPG

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.d87e6fc314af1172f729e50ffc07392f.JPG

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.0dd0951a79e000e4e49254be72bb0de0.JPG

• Like 1

Your diorama work is excellent, Douglas........ and you have no need to worry about this project passing the scrutiny of the examiners. The detail is so meticulous, the proportions and layout are absolutely first class and the whole visual concept is most interesting, in every respect.

Thank you for posting these photographs of your work.

David

42 minutes ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

I'm looking at this and all of a sudden I start to wonder why I even bother with my simple garage dio. :D
Simply stunning.

That is the absolute opposite of the purpose of my posting.  I post, not to gloat of any perceived talents, but to encourage others to build and increase their talents.  Your continuing to build your garage diorama is the best compliment that can be paid to me.  Please do continue and be sure to share your project, that I might be able to enjoy it too.

Yeah, I was not completely serious there, without training nobody reaches this level, and I didn't mean to be salty so I am sorry if you took it wrong, I was kind of joking. But you have succeeded in giving it a very realistic look, I love the lighting effects for example.

That's not a problem.   I was just concerned that you would be intimidated by the photos and give up on building.  I've been building since 1959, so I have developed a few talents, mostly in the line of fixing all the mistakes I keep making.   I checked out your garage and you should be quite proud of your accomplishments.  I am truly impressed.