Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty race car hauler

I’ve found another Dodge LN1000 race car hauler to build. This is the race car hauler that Richard Petty used in the early 70’s. For the build I’m using AITM’s Dodge LN1000 resin cab with the Louisville Short Haul for the frame and box. The rear doors are from the Big Rig kit thanks to JT. The race car is Richard Petty’s 73 Dodge Charger newly released by Salvinor JR Models and I’m planning on scratch building the trailer for it. I’m using MCW Petty blue for the truck and car and have Scenes Unlimited tires on order for the truck. I’m still gathering as much information as I can for the details. Currently trying to figure out what the wheel base needs to be. I’ve started with building the frame and taping the box together to see how it looks. I think the box looks a little bit to long in front of the wheels. The Dodge specs show a max wheel base of 158” for the single axle and I’m currently at 218”. I would appreciate any information on this if anyone has some. Here’s what I have so far. 

7E064AC5-28FE-4DB9-80FE-E07831C7271D.jpeg

C9FBB0AF-7FDE-4F16-8E1C-F3B5505C82D8.jpeg

1677C1C7-0D19-41A1-9411-8AB3D3A940E7.jpeg

1C0532F6-939F-4BAA-91CA-C249A285C779.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

I’m trying to find someone that has a Detroit 6-71N seems like everyone is sold out of them. 

I recently got 2 from Gary. One is in the Paystar that I am building. Don’t go by the website for Jamie’s stock either. Check with him by phone or email.

By the way, Very Cool project!! I like it.

As far as box length and wheelbase, if you know how wide a sheet of metal is on the side, the box seems to have 6 full sheets up the side with a row of rivets in the middle of each sheet. The front  sheet may be a little shorter. Also it looks like Petty also ran a C Cab Ford with the same box or an identical one. This must have been a popular box of the day, K&K insurance(Dodge), Holly Farms(Astro), and Hawaiian Punch(C cab) ran similar rigs as well. Maybe you could find info on one of those trucks.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one!!

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

22 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Interesting idea for a build, I'll definitely be following.

Thanks Jason I will try to keep it interesting to. 

17 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Totally looking good... Another fine project in the making...

Thanks JT

I’ve shorten the box and frame and now I’m going to have to lower the top on the box then it’s going to look right. 

&

1B40C988-58FE-42FA-9FBB-C4829CE063D3.jpeg

8 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Man the King s cars really rode around to the tracks in style back then ! Looks like the teams built whatever they needed to travel .

Good looking project so far ! 

Thanks Jeff, but check out the trailer in the pictures that Hakan posted for me looks like they used whatever they could find to build it. 

1 hour ago, Force said:

Nice project.

Here are a couple more pictures I found in my files.

PettysHauler2_1972.jpg.4c3f0ae9ddb4b12c44d800b9ea52ce44.jpg

pettytransporter3.png.b4fb605593dce063ad99555bbb0e24eb.png

pettyhauler.png.35f63b64c5c40648075c50f065cfe884.png

Thanks Hakan for sharing your pictures. I’ve seen some of them but I don’t have them saved so thanks they will save me time having to go and find them again. 

Some progress on the truck I’ve painted the frame and received my Scenes Unlimited tires for the truck. I found some fuel tanks in my parts box. I’ve also painted the deck and put the rear doors together. Next will be to build the boxes on the lower sides. I’ve picked out that at the rear of the truck there’s a mud flap and the trailer hitch frame is also stairs to get into the back of the truck. I can see in the one picture that they had 2 of these tracks one with a all blue cab and one with white around the lights. I’m going with the white around the lights. 

249F74A6-84C3-4C06-8971-06C022AF41EA.jpeg

On 6/3/2021 at 4:52 AM, gatorincebu said:

Dan ,

You have this one looking good. I like the wood effect .

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator I’ve done the sides now. 

On 6/3/2021 at 8:22 AM, doorsovdoon said:

This is going to be great looking build. Very nice work so far.

Thanks Gareth   

I’ve been working on the lower boxes. 

FD40A7C4-BDCB-4ADB-A7CA-9D2932BF2D88.jpeg

474F8F82-98F5-4C76-B459-CF25F15DDEEA.jpeg

9B8B0D95-FE68-49F5-A300-AB402E6D74DE.jpeg