Model Cars Magazine Forum

May have saved a life today

Venom

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

BE80B12E-BA72-444E-9051-3B6A404216C5.jpeg.782a4fdbb4bedf911a66a5d5ca43b9a4.jpeg

This was Sammy. My daughter won him at the fair and brought him home in a plastic bag.  We kept him in a small bowl.. then a bigger bowl, and he survived and kept getting bigger.

Eventually I put him in a 10 gallon tank with a friend. We had him TEN years!

(Note- I forgot his name. I texted the photo to my daughter and she immediately responded with his name!)

Ten years?.. that’s kind of mind blowing for such a little dude!🤯

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Nope... if I saw a rattler in the road, he’s gonna get squished. 

Reminds me of a story... since we've already veered into other animals...

Back when I was  young I worked for a large home developer.  I picked up the owner at the airport and he wanted to stop at one of the developments on the way back.   We're on the property and there is a box turtle walking across the road.  Coming the other way was a dump truck, who aimed for the turtle and took him out.

The company owner yelled at me to turn around and chase that truck.  We caught him at the corner, he read the company name and plate number.   Truck driver heard me honking at him and he gave us the finger and kept going.

We got back to the office and he called the company and told them they were now banned.  Not allowed back on any of his properties, not even as a sub.    Guess that clown lost his job!

3 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Reminds me of a story... since we've already veered into other animals...

Back when I was  young I worked for a large home developer.  I picked up the owner at the airport and he wanted to stop at one of the developments on the way back.   We're on the property and there is a box turtle walking across the road.  Coming the other way was a dump truck, who aimed for the turtle and took him out.

The company owner yelled at me to turn around and chase that truck.  We caught him at the corner, he read the company name and plate number.   Truck driver heard me honking at him and he gave us the finger and kept going.

We got back to the office and he called the company and told them they were now banned.  Not allowed back on any of his properties, not even as a sub.    Guess that clown lost his job!

👍Yay!!

...sad about the turtle.

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Nope... if I saw a rattler in the road, he’s gonna get squished. No way imma gonna save his or risk my own life over a dangerous rattlesnake.

👎Boooo....boooo

I saved one of those huge ants that was caught in a spider web. You know, the ants that are so big you could almost make them pets?

Generally I have no use for ants, having an intense dislike of their mindless group-think behavior, but the big ones get my sympathy for some strange reason...probably because I seem to see them mostly foraging on their own, rather than in endless lines marching back and forth to and from the cat food bowl.

Anyway, this little creature was struggling mightily trying to get free, and Mr. Spider was closing in. First I got the ant, web fragment and all, away from the spider (he can find plenty of other bugs out there, don't worry). Then I was able to gently tease the web filaments off of the ant without ripping any legs out. They're really built like tanks.

Ms. Ant (workers are all female) walked away apparently unscathed...without so much as a "thank you". How typical.  ;)

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:41 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

...No way imma gonna save his or risk my own life over a dangerous rattlesnake.

Rattlesnakes pose no danger to humans unless they feel threatened. Anyone who's in the snake's environment should be aware of the possibility of encountering one, and take reasonable precautions...like paying attention.

Rattlesnakes don't deserve to die just because they're armed with venom, a weapon they use to hunt, to feed themselves.

As I’m weeding my gardens, a robin notices I’m disturbing dirt and comes down to investigate. He’ll peck around in the freshly turned dirt.

I do unearth worms, and I’ve started to put them in a paint cap that was handy.  When the robin shows up, I toss him a worm. He’s realized I’m a friend and will patiently sit on a rock and watch me work and wait for treats.

BEFB3F14-2E3F-465C-8013-DC5C1A5586D8.thumb.jpeg.c0acff82120f051b037a282b1d120517.jpeg

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I saved one of those huge ants that was caught in a spider web. You know, the ants that are so big you could almost make them pets?

Generally I have no use for ants, having an intense dislike of their mindless group-think behavior, but the big ones get my sympathy for some strange reason...probably because I seem to see them mostly foraging on their own, rather than in endless lines marching back and forth to and from the cat food bowl.

Anyway, this little creature was struggling mightily trying to get free, and Mr. Spider was closing in. First I got the ant, web fragment and all, away from the spider (he can find plenty of other bugs out there, don't worry). Then I was able to gently tease the web filaments off of the ant without ripping any legs out. They're really built like tanks.

Ms. Ant (workers are all female) walked away apparently unscathed...without so much as a "thank you". How typical.  ;)

I just had some really awful yet humbling events happen in my life over the last couple days, and this is the first thing I have read since and it’s the first thing that made me laugh in a couple days as well... Thank you for this! I gave you a trophy.

• Haha 1