Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 8th annual model contest certificate - what year?

20 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

While getting ready for the big move back to SoCal, I found this in my old papers:

1414262893_meritcertificate.jpg.0e574b2b8a65f02ca848c20d8a71645c.jpg

The contest was held here in Chicago at the annual Speed and Custom Car Show - but I don't remember when this was. Anyone know what year was the eighth annual contest?

The MPC contest series ran for 11 years....1969 through 1979 car show seasons.  The actual contest series season mirrored the ISCA / ICAS 1/1 scale showcar season and ran from Octoberish of the prior year through April of the current year.  

So the eighth annual series would have been 1976....however back then, the Chicago show IIRC correctly would have been in the November prior to the calendar year...so it would have been November of 1975 even though it was officially the 1976 show car season.  Does that sound right?

Congrats Chris on your win.  Guys, the Chicago show was typically among the biggest and most competitive shows of the year for the MPC series, and several times was covered in detail by Hank Borger in his "Scrap Box" column in Car Model magazine. 

I was lucky and very fortunate to win Best of Show at the Chicago shown during the 1978 contest season (again, held in November, 1977), which entered me in the 10th annual MPC National Finals in Omaha in April, 1978, where the same car (with some minor and allowable upgrades) won 2nd Nationwide.    TIM  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was at the DC Armory show  and MPC contest in 1976.  Sorry I only have these two pictures from slides but somewhere I have more pictures of the show cars.

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bainford said:

They sure packed them tight together.

Did you get Bunny Burkett's autograph?

I was seventeen and probably too shy.  I did meet Jungle Pam about 20 years ago but don’t remember getting hers either.

I do remember if you brought a model for the MPC contest you would get in free so that was probably my primary motivation.

• Like 1