Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rules when growing up

John1955

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

"Give the TV a rest."

After my granddad's nice big color TV caught fire and burned up his living room, I had no trouble obeying that rule! :o

Remember "Don't sit so close to the TV! You're gonna ruin your eyes!"? :blink:

Well, guess where everybody's been sitting for about the last  20 years? About 15 inches from a TV screen of one sort or another. :lol:

Too many to count growing up during the 70s and 80s. At least our parents knew what parenting is then. A smack on your behind with the palm of their hand or worse.... those wooden spoons for punishment never hurt anyone then. Who can forget when you know you’re in trouble is when your parents call you by your full name - first, middle and last name. LOL!  

Today? They’ll call it “ child abuse”. Give me a break. Today, these snowflakes parents are getting too soft in the disciplinary department. And they wonder why kids today are mouthy and out of control.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 5:54 AM, Snake45 said:

Remember "Don't sit so close to the TV! You're gonna ruin your eyes!"? :blink:

Well, guess where everybody's been sitting for about the last  20 years? About 15 inches from a TV screen of one sort or another. :lol:

Yeah but, sitting closer makes the screen bigger!

And where are we with cell phones - 6 inches? That can't be good on the ol' peepers.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Re: All Three Names.

My Grandmother advised my wife and I, before we had our first, to Yell the prospective name out the back door, to see it sounded good. We actually tried it.  Changed the middle name for son, because of it. The first pick for a middle name just didn't "work", when you said all three together. It works now. He 25 and probably has not heard all three names at once in 15 years.

:)😁 

55 minutes ago, alexis said:

Re: All Three Names.

My Grandmother advised my wife and I, before we had our first, to Yell the prospective name out the back door, to see it sounded good. We actually tried it.  Changed the middle name for son, because of it. The first pick for a middle name just didn't "work", when you said all three together. It works now. He 25 and probably has not heard all three names at once in 15 years.

:)😁 

I'm mid 50's and when I hear a parent yell at their child using all three names, my butt still puckers!

You bet there was no "time out" chair. Sitting was the last thing on your mind. An occasional model, or tube of bb's was earned. We had a huge garden we tended, and came before any messing around. I can say now, I'm sure glad I grew up when I did. My boys sure are well rounded, hard working young men. They still come to visit us often, so I guess we weren't too hard on them. 

• Like 1