Model Cars Magazine Forum

Zero Paints

Has anyone tried Zero Paints. My understanding is that Zero Paints colors are a airbrush ready base coat lacquer paint as they require a clear coat to give them a gloss finish. They are produced in Solid, Metallic and Pearl/Mica colors and can be color matched to almost any 1:1 car and motorcycle. Additionally, I understand they have a "Textured Paint" that may be used to represent leather/cloth upholstery as well as floor carpet.

However, on-line I have only seen it being carried by overseas vendors and have yet to find a U.S. supplier.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Greg, UpScale Hobbies and Hobbyworld-USA are both suppliers of Zero. What they have on hand can vary. Zero Paints, generally speaking, are "hot" meaning they may craze the plastic. I have shot a number of colors and there are some that went down beautifully with no crazing and others that did. The trick, in my experience, is to shoot light coats and wait the recommended time between coats.

26 minutes ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Thanks for the info Nacho Z👍

Good advice from John Brolin there, Greg....... I cannot add any further info regarding the suppliers of Zero Paints in the U.S., but here in UK we are lucky to have a marvellous comapny called Hiroboy...... Steve at Hiroboy can supply almost any colour in Zero Paints, particularly specific paints for F1 cars, also Lotus, Ferrari and London Bus for example. They can also custom mix any colour, as long as you can supply the manufacturer's paint code and colour name, year etc. for the 1:1 car. Hiroboy even managed to mix me a paint colour for a 1950's Rolls-Royce that I was building in 1:24 scale. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have not had any crazing effect with any of the Zero Paints colours that I have used, and I have used lots of this paint over the past 5 years. The paint dries with a matt finish, and needs clearcoat afterwards for a gloss finish. They even do the correct Red Bull colours in blue and yellow, which is actually a matt finish on the real cars. Hiroboy are not shipping to Europe recently, due to Brexit and Covid, but maybe they would ship to USA  ?

David

2 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Good advice from John Brolin there, Greg....... I cannot add any further info regarding the suppliers of Zero Paints in the U.S., but here in UK we are lucky to have a marvellous comapny called Hiroboy...... Steve at Hiroboy can supply almost any colour in Zero Paints, particularly specific paints for F1 cars, also Lotus, Ferrari and London Bus for example. They can also custom mix any colour, as long as you can supply the manufacturer's paint code and colour name, year etc. for the 1:1 car. Hiroboy even managed to mix me a paint colour for a 1950's Rolls-Royce that I was building in 1:24 scale. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have not had any crazing effect with any of the Zero Paints colours that I have used, and I have used lots of this paint over the past 5 years. The paint dries with a matt finish, and needs clearcoat afterwards for a gloss finish. They even do the correct Red Bull colours in blue and yellow, which is actually a matt finish on the real cars. Hiroboy are not shipping to Europe recently, due to Brexit and Covid, but maybe they would ship to USA  ?

David

I assumed hiroboy and zero are the same folks, the websites are identical

2 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Greg, UpScale Hobbies and Hobbyworld-USA are both suppliers of Zero. What they have on hand can vary. Zero Paints, generally speaking, are "hot" meaning they may craze the plastic. I have shot a number of colors and there are some that went down beautifully with no crazing and others that did. The trick, in my experience, is to shoot light coats and wait the recommended time between coats.

You must use a lacquer primer under Zero (or any lacquer) paints to ensure there is no crazing. I've used Tamiya spray can primer with no issues. You can always use Zero's own airbrushable primer.

I caution about ordering Zero paints from Hiroboy (or probably anyone outside the US) if you are in the US. There will be a massive extra hazardous materials charge tacked onto your order. If you can't get the paint stateside, you may want to look elsewhere for paint. Splash Paints is in the USA and sells very similar paints. There is also Gravity Paints in Spain (not the US company) which you can order from direct. Gravity has no hazardous material charge because almost all they ship is paint, so the shipper (DHL) knows exactly what they are shipping and it is in bulk. I've used all three brand with excellent results. In addition, Gravity can create a color for you if you can give them details. I needed Deutche Post yellow and it was in their catalog 1 month after I asked.

1 hour ago, vintagerpm said:

I caution about ordering Zero paints from Hiroboy (or probably anyone outside the US) if you are in the US. There will be a massive extra hazardous materials charge tacked onto your order. If you can't get the paint stateside, you may want to look elsewhere for paint. Splash Paints is in the USA and sells very similar paints. There is also Gravity Paints in Spain (not the US company) which you can order from direct. Gravity has no hazardous material charge because almost all they ship is paint, so the shipper (DHL) knows exactly what they are shipping and it is in bulk. I've used all three brand with excellent results. In addition, Gravity can create a color for you if you can give them details. I needed Deutche Post yellow and it was in their catalog 1 month after I asked.

And Gravity is the most opaque paint I have tried.  Very helpful in answering questions.  Again, the "real" one in Spain, not the USA one.

2 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Good point about the hazardous materials charge, Mike, which makes ordering from Hiroboy if you are resident in the US a no, no, for sure. The shipping costs from Canada to UK are so expensive, that we just don't do it.

David

I have gotten Zero Paints from USA sources.  First is Upscale Hobbies and second is Hobbyworld USA.  Both do periodic bulk orders to deal with the Hazmat shipping costs.  I prefer Upscale because he will broadcast setting up an order and give one the chance to specify need.  Both are low on supply at the moment.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I had not realized I would incur 'extra hazardous materials" charges. Thanks for the heads up.

The only mail-order paint I`ve used so far has been MCM. I had a fairly good experience with their paint. However, I wanted to try out some other brands. I think I`ll look into the Gravity paints. And I will check out Splash as well.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

6 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

You must use a lacquer primer under Zero (or any lacquer) paints to ensure there is no crazing. I've used Tamiya spray can primer with no issues. You can always use Zero's own airbrushable primer.

I hear you, Mike.  I use Tamiya primer too.  I am pretty sure my crazing issue was that I did not wait long enough between coats.  This would be the same as putting it on too heavy, I’m guessing.  Personally, my biggest issue has been with Zero’s Jet Black.  It seems hotter than any other colors I’ve shot so far.  I will say that I haven’t shot a ton of different colors yet.  I have painted a Hasegawa Porsche 962C in their Pure Brilliant White with no problems whatsoever.