Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevrolet to GMC conversion..

AMT made a GMC-style grille with this kit. You can find them all over eBay.

c3500.JPG.cac0bb66353658ad431f74d6840210c0.JPG

These are my fav generation of truck, so I try to grab/hoard all the kits and parts I can for various builds. 

I've been looking into 3D printing a lot recently, and have found a couple of options that might work. I'll let you know how those turn out.

Strangely this generation of truck hasn't gotten a lot of 3D printing support as of yet, even though the 1:1 trucks are blowing up in the scene. It would be nice to have a corrected 94-98 Chevy grille as well as both GMC grilles with emblems.

And don't get me started on correct 4x4 suspension...!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey, Round2, time to bring this truck back! I'll bet it would sell biggly! Include the Camper Shell (Topper) and optional Chevy/GMC Grilles and Stock & Custom wheels, and the trailer out of the Cal Drag Combo, and you have a ready-to-go, Saturday Lights Tow Vehicle. Throw in one of the new, improved Decal Sheets and you'd have a huge hit.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2022 at 9:52 AM, alexis said:

Hey, Round2, time to bring this truck back! I'll bet it would sell biggly! Include the Camper Shell (Topper) and optional Chevy/GMC Grilles and Stock & Custom wheels, and the trailer out of the Cal Drag Combo, and you have a ready-to-go, Saturday Lights Tow Vehicle. Throw in one of the new, improved Decal Sheets and you'd have a huge hit.

I wish they’d listen. They are my favorite truck and a great kit to start with. Really could use some more in the stash. 

On 3/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, alexis said:

Currently the tooling for the C 3500 Dually kit is missing, otherwise it would have been on my reissue list already. 

-Steve 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, DZ7581 said:

Can the 454-SS and stepside be added to the list of re-issued chevy trucks 

Once all the orders are filled on the current USA-1 Monster Truck version, which is part of the same tooling we'll be able to take a closer look at what can be reissued.  

I think the 454-SS and the Stepside kits are both good choices. 

-Steve 

22 hours ago, SteveG said:

Once all the orders are filled on the current USA-1 Monster Truck version, which is part of the same tooling we'll be able to take a closer look at what can be reissued.  

I think the 454-SS and the Stepside kits are both good choices. 

-Steve 

That's good news. Can I double down as long as we are talking re-issues and ask if any of the leaf spring bigfoots could be released? They go for big money and it would be nice to have them again.  I don't know what round 2's standing is with them.

2 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

That's good news. Can I double down as long as we are talking re-issues and ask if any of the leaf spring bigfoots could be released? They go for big money and it would be nice to have them again.  I don't know what round 2's standing is with them.

Based purely on what's been part of the USA-1 kits recently the Bigfoot 1 kit should be do-able if the chrome tree is still around. The flares, roll bar, and even the single piece wheels from the Bigfoot 1 kits have been in the USA-1 in some of the reissues from a few years ago. If the Bigfoot 1 specific grille is gone they could still do a Destroyer reissue.

The big question is the second Bigfoot kit, it hasn't been out since it was converted into the Destroyer II in the mid 90s. That era seems to be a black hole for AMT tooling during which a lot of stuff got missing or damaged. 

So here's an option. I mentioned 3D printing earlier in this thread.

There are a couple of GMC options from this era for 3D printing. Here's a pic of the K1500 stepside. This truck prints in 1/25 scale.

355689292_K1500Stepside.JPG.6beb793a211ec87137264ab51657dbde.JPG

I've downloaded and printed one of the Chevrolet kits from the same creator. Detail and quality is excellent. And the grille matches up almost perfectly to the AMT cabs.

Here's what the Chev grille looks like when printed. I have not done any cleanup to the grille in these pics. A good wash with some soapy water and the residue will disappear.

DSC_8501.thumb.JPG.49d4b01179d791f0f691e1aa1c5c662e.JPG

DSC_8502.thumb.JPG.4e90e8bc46af1043d928c59ab9ba5a3c.JPG

DSC_8503.thumb.JPG.344a1da4651e05d72610191e02ee8e26.JPG

I would consider buying the files and printing up copies if there was interest. Would have to figure out costs inc shipping. Obviously, the more interest there is, the lower the cost becomes.

Just a thought.

22 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

The 1984 issue Big Foot kit is now the 1979 Ford F350 4x4 Super Stones kit as best as I can tell.  I'm not sure how much of those parts are actually in USA-1 Monster Truck kit but I can certainly look into it down the road.  

-Steve

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

The 1984 issue Big Foot kit is now the 1979 Ford F350 4x4 Super Stones kit as best as I can tell.  I'm not sure how much of those parts are actually in USA-1 Monster Truck kit but I can certainly look into it down the road.  

-Steve

The parts weren't originally in the USA-1 kit but they've been in it since the late 2000s or so. I imagine they're on the tree with the axles, springs, wheel backs and such and have just been thrown in as "extras".

• 1 year later...

Scale Speed Garage now has available the 88-98 single headlight grilles and the 90-98 dual headlight grilles for both Chevy and GMC. I'm hoping the 88-89 sealed beam dual light grilles come at some point... 🤞

22 hours ago, Fabrux said:

They only have the files, yes. Their authorized printer is VCG Resins by Reese; if you contact him he might be able to print them for you. 🙂

I contacted VCG but they only said they may release some OBS grills in the future. Do you happen to have any photos of the grills Scale Speed Garage has?