Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inexpensive solvent based glue

46 minutes ago, bobss396 said:

How about toluene? That I'd prefer over MEK. I worked in a machine shop and the owner practically swam in MEK. He would leave the gallon can open in the shop and I could detect it right away.

Toluene is still available over-the-counter in bulk at hardware stores in some areas where MEK is banned.

• Like 1

If you like Tamiya extra thin cement, you can always buy the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner in the 250mL container. It is the same thing as Tamiya extra thin cement going by their safety data sheets

each are approx 50% butyl acetate and 50% acetone.   

one bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement of 40ml is typically around $7.50 Canadian whereas the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner of 250ml  is typically around $14.00 

cheers, Graham 

• Like 2

I’ve decided to stick with the Tamiya extra thin. I spend far less per model on cement than I do on filler, primer, and paint. It might be worthwhile for someone with hundreds or thousands of models yet to build.😜

12 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

MEK should be available at paint stores. I buy mine through Sherwinn Williams. I mostly use it as a retarder for lacquer coatings.

"Should be" is the key phrase.  In some states (like California) it is banned as a hazardous chemical, so paint stores do not carry it.  Unfortunately.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

"Should be" is the key phrase.  In some states (like California) it is banned as a hazardous chemical, so paint stores do not carry it.  Unfortunately.

Exactly. Last time I tried to buy it here, all I could get is "MEK substitute".

Which is why I had it shipped to me in bulk...enough to last me years, for a small fraction of what I'd pay one little bottle at a time.

What IS surprising is that the local laws here don't YET forbid having it shipped in, and it doesn't require expensive HAZMAT packaging...though some materials I use DO, like the slow hardener for my aircraft-grade epoxy.

EDIT: Both toluene and acetone are still available here, however...for now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly build customs which means using lots of liquid adhesive for body mods and scratch building. For many, many years I used Tenax7 which was a great liquid adhesive. Some years ago I discovered MEK for myself and have been using it exclusively. I switched over to it mostly because of how inexpensive it is compared to most all the popular liquid adhesives like Tenax7, Plastic Weld, WeldOn, etc. But I also discovered MEK's great drying time and welding properties. The one thing I would mention is that I found the fumes of MEK to be really strong, much stronger than the above mentioned glues! I use it in a well ventilated area, and cap it in between brush dips to minimize the fume's effects. I don't really do this (I probably should) but if you really want to protect yourself, you can always use a single cartridge respirator mask as well. I may be extra sensitive to it, but I've had dizziness, headaches, and even sinus pain when I wasn't careful enough. Lastly, I try to avoid getting it on my skin as it absorbs too quickly to wash off 🙂

20 hours ago, El Roberto said:

I looked up MEK on line and WallyWorld had it in quart cans for a trifling $85.00.  

That's a little steep. $70 a gallon is more like it.     

https://www.amazon.com/DIYChemicals-Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Gallon/dp/B096SVGMN9

https://diychemicals.com/product/methyl-ethyl-ketone/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yes, "MEK substitute" does work fine, and its odor isn't nearly as strong original MEK.  I git mine at Lowes for $8.69 for a quart can. I just put some in an old Plastruct cement bottle, and have even mixed some into other liquid cements to stretch them out a little. No noticeable degradation of the other cements.

A.J.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:13 PM, El Roberto said:

I looked up MEK on line and WallyWorld had it in quart cans for a trifling $85.00.  OK does anyone know if the MEK substitute will work for a cement?

You should be able to find MEK in large hardware stores like Home Depot and/or Lowe's for $10 or less for a quart.